Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:20 AM

Rehoming An Established Dog/Bitch

Hi all,
What are your thoughts on this,
Rehoming an established Bitch/dog to make room for a new litter of pups,so the breeder can keep one.

My own thoughts are i could never get rid of any of mine to make room for a litter,no matter how good my bitch was and my expectations.
I simply wouldn't breed.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry, what an awful thought!

How can the person who would say that care for their dog?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I very much doubt on a dog lover's forum that you will get anyone agreeing with this ... it is despicable as far as I am concerned.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:05 AM
That`s like kicking a kid out of home cos you`re having a baby!!!!
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:32 AM
As well as being ungrateful, as I assume this may be the mother of the said litter?
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Disgusting, if i ever expressed an interest in a litter and then learned the breeder was doing such a practise, I would retract my interest in a pup.
It's like saying they are dispensible.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Hi all,
What are your thoughts on this,
Rehoming an established Bitch/dog to make room for a new litter of pups,so the breeder can keep one.
I think this is despicable practice and unfortunately it does happen There are certain breeders who get rid of their elder dogs once they can no longer use them for breeding

In my mind a dog is for life – not just until they have outlived their usefulness as some people seem to think If a breeder is rehoming their elder dogs then I would seriously question their motives. I personally wouldn’t touch breeders like this with a barge pole – they obviously have no morals and are merely using the dogs as puppy producing machines
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Have been thinking about this and even though I would never rehome any of my dogs, whatever the reason, my boyfriend rehomes some of his older working collies.

When certain dogs get past being able to work on the hill, he rehomes some to other farmers/shepherds who he knows will look after the dog and who have less strenuous work for them. At first I was dead against this - and even if I live up there and work my dogs they will always have a home with me into retirement. However, I can see it from his point of view in that old dogs heads don't slow down with their bodies and leaving them at home while the younger dogs do the job they used to do is really really hard on the old dog. Moving to easier ground and less sheep will make an old working dog much happier than staying where he is than being left behind.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Sadly I think you'll find this practice is more common than you would have believe I personally would never make way for a pup by getting rid of the older ones but some smallish show kennels do this nigh on everytime they want another puppy even rehoming champions to make way for the next one.
I'd rather give up showing, besides, I'd just add another one :smt002
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Moobli, I agree with you about working dogs, but I still can't make this sit comfortably with breeding dogs. The farmers I know keep working dogs purely as that, there is no element of 'pet' whatsoever. But this is what these dogs have been breed for and they really seem to enjoy their working lives.

The scenario suggested by Sal is just the results of puppy farming IMO and I just don't think its right that dogs are kept purely for churning out pups.

In fact, its probably not so much that they get rid of them after that I find so bad (by the sounds of it, bitches kept for breeding may well have a better live being rehomed)... the problem IMO is the reason for such a person to be owning the dog in the first place.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »