Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 10:14 PM

Is it silly...

that I still think of Pebbles?

Only occasionally, I don't dwell on it constantly, but occasionally I look at Takara and think how lucky I am but then I wonder what happened to Pebbles.

Did they keep her name?
Did the breeder keep her or sell her?
Is she pretty?
Is she successfull?
Is she happy?

I still think of her as 'my first puppy' but Takara is my first dog if that makes sense? Takara is truly mine, and my first pup but Pebbles was supposed to be my first puppy.

I still remember the day I went to look at her, the day the breeder phoned me to say I couldn't have her. It's all so vivid I remember exactly how I felt.
The worst feeling was when the breeder rang up to say I could have her if I still wanted her and I had to make the decision not to take her. I felt like I was giving my little baby up but I didn't trust her breeder. That wasn't my puppy's fault surely? That's why I hope so much that she's happy wherever she is now, because otherwise it would be my fault.

It's amazing how so much pain can turn into so much happiness (in the form of Takara).

I would never wish that things happened differently and I could've kept Pebbles because I wouldn't have got Takara then.

I in no way wish that I had Pebbles now because I am so glad I got Takara. But I just really, really hope that she went to a family that loves her as much as I did and that she's happy.

Sorry, don't know why I had to share this, I don't feel this way all the time, just occasionally when I look at Takara and how happy we both are with each other.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Aww (((hugs))). It's not silly!
I think it's natural to wonder "what if". But you are so happy with Takara and that's the main thing
Also you loved Pebbles even though you never got her in the end, so of course you are going to hope that she is happy and well
You are unlikely to ever be able to answer your questions though so just try to believe that she is in a loving family
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-07-2006, 06:54 AM
Not silly at all Lottie.I am sure Pebbles is happy,but you will think of her.(((Hugs)))xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys

I'm sure she went to someone who loves her, but I highly doubt I'll ever know for sure!

Thanks for your replies
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Its not silly, I helped handraise a pup from my OH's mums litter a couple of years ago, I spent so much time with him as soon as I got home from work he was in my room with me I loved him so much and having wanted a puppy for years desperatly wanted to keep him but OH and I were just about to move into a flat with a no pet policy so I couldnt keep him, it broke my heart when he went especially as I didnt agree with the people who had him, other people that came that I really liked I desperately wanted to take him but they all picked other pups so the pushy woman from London I didnt want to have him took him and it broke my heart, but he came and visited with his owners a year later it was nice to see him happy and healthy and he ram straight up to me when I came in and OH and his mum reacon he recognised me. But I wished I hadnt seen him in away because when left he was my puppy but when I saw him again he was definatly their dog and it hurt.
But if I had him I would never have gotten Loki who I know now is loads beter suited to me, everything happens for a reason and I love Loki to death and am actually glad now that I couldnt keep my little pup although I will always think of him as my puppy! So its definately not strange for you to feel this way and probably best you will never know what family she went to and can just remember as ur pup!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2006, 09:52 AM
We all think of the road not taken

You are right to rejoice in what you have. What might have been might have been, but isn't.

I would bet that Pebbles has a good home and is loved as she should be
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Thanks,

Although I don't agree with the woman who bred her, I do know that she cared for the pups and she wouldn't have let her go to someone who wasn't right.

Hannah, that's a really sad story, it would've broken my heart! I didn't spend that much time with Pebbles and it still hurt!

I feel exactly the same way though, I'm glad I didn't get Pebbles because I'd have never got Takara.

I don't feel as silly now! Thanks
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Aaaw, I'm sure she is happy now, and just think how happy Takara is.
The other side of this is, as you may remember I "rescued" a Lurcher 7mths ago, and often when I am having fun with her I think of what her previous owners are missing.
If what I was told about her rehoming was true, do her first family still think about her. But what I find most heart wrenching is does she still think of, and miss them.
It's then that we do tricks just so she can have rewards and an extra piece of cheese
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie
Thanks,

Although I don't agree with the woman who bred her, I do know that she cared for the pups and she wouldn't have let her go to someone who wasn't right.

Hannah, that's a really sad story, it would've broken my heart! I didn't spend that much time with Pebbles and it still hurt!

I feel exactly the same way though, I'm glad I didn't get Pebbles because I'd have never got Takara.

I don't feel as silly now! Thanks
Thanks, it really hurt at the time totally broke my heart but was the best thing in the long run, benji (what I called the pup hes called teddy now which is funny cause I called him my little bear!) was very cute and I loved him to bits but being a sussex spaniel I couldnt have done with him some of the things I want to do with Loki (like agility, and they arnt as inteligent), he wasnt a really cuddly pup, not like Loki is, and Loki is my world so all worked out for the best, one of the reasons I always think everything happens for a reason although its hard to see that at the time!