Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Boxers hip and spine x-rays

[/IMG][/IMG][IMG]http://[/IMG]Here are some x-rays of my boxer.Also an email sent to me from my vet.Im afraid it is in Spanish but im sure you can copy and paste it into google translate so you can understand what it says.
I am not looking at going after the breeder of my dog legally but i do very much want potential new puppy owners to be aware of problems in the boxer breed.Please make sure that the parents are all properly x-rayed and tested for medical problems.
My boxer has had a femoral head removal operation which cost a huge amount of money,thankfully she has now recovered and after around six months of recovery she is now able to lead a normal pain free life.She was just over two years of age when she had the operation and i feel her being so young helped with her quick recovery.She will always have a unusual gait but this is a mechanical lameness not due to pain.
Her spine is also going to cause her problems,hopefully not for along time yet.
PLEASE,PLEASE be carefull when you come to purchase your next puppy even if it is from a reputable and well known breeder.
Buenos días Natalie, he estado mirando y hablando con un traumatólogo y es lo mismo que te comente. En cuanto a la espondilosis hay dos causas, genética que muestra una sintomatología como Katie y una discoespondilitis infecciosa que entonces el animal presenta fiebre y mucho dolor (estas son más raras). La displasia es genética o por un traumatismo en la articulación afectada.
Mi opinión tal y como esta Katie es un problema genético en los dos casos.
Un saludo, gracias y perdona es retraso en responderte.
[IMG]http://[/IMG]
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 08:32 PM
im new to this and there only appears to be x-ray shown so now im going to try to add the others.sorry[/IMG]
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 08:37 PM
My boxers hip x-ray.there is more of a write up on the other post with the same tittle as this.for some reason i couldnt get all three x-rays on the same post.sorry for the mistake.[IMG][/IMG]
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Sorry to see your dog has some health issues.
Have you contacted the breeder of your dog, if so what was their response?

Did you make sure before buying the dog that both parents were fully health tested in problems within this breed, therefore the breeder doing everything in their power to breed healthy animals?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Both HD and Spondylosis (spine) are known in quite a few breeds, not just Boxers. I am pleased to hear your girl has recovered well from surgery, she is lucky to have such a good owner. Our Boxer that we lost in 2010 had HD and very bad spondylosis. Vet said she had never seen a spine so bad. Yet for all that it was Liver disease that we lost her from

Enjoy your girl and try not to dwell too much on her skeletal problems. Unfortunately it can happen x
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:52 PM
I did contact the breeder first of all by email to which he/she replied and then i replied again by email to which he/she replied to me by phone.Unfortunatly nothing was resolved.

I tried very hard to find a breeder that tested hearts and also for HD and i could find very few who actually tested for both.
This breeder had tested for heart problems and assured me that there was no history of spondylosis or HD in his/her blood lines.He/she has been a breeder for forty years or more and is a very reputable breeder, so i felt comfortable purchasing a puppy from him/her.

I will never ever buy a puppy again that has not got both its parents fully health tested and with certificates to prove it and also with microchips.If the parents are not microchipped how can we even prove that the certificates actually refer to the dogs in question?.I even offered to pay for his/her dogs to be x-rayed if the results proved to be clear of both diseases.He/she agreed to this but it was only possible on the sire as the bitch had been passed onto someone else and he/she had no contact with this person.I then discovered that none of his/her dogs had microchips,so how could i prove that the dog he/she took for x-rays would actually be the sire of my puppy? Because of this i eventually dropped the case.

I just want people to be aware of these problems.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Thankyou for your kind words.Its much appreciated.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Hi Natalie, sorry to hear about your dog.

Did your breeder offer you any sort of guarantee? More and more breeders are nowadays, eg the breeder of JulieSS's Marvel:

Summary of guarantee: If, in the first 18 months of life, any hereditary health problem should be revealed, the puppy will be replaced or the purchase price refunded (without having to return the dog). (Whoever you buy a pup from ensure you are offered a similar guarantee or simply walk away. A good ethical breeder will have no qualms about giving such a guarantee).
http://www.claymoreboerboel.com/claymore1_index.htm

When it comes to checking over a breeder I can see both sides - it's partly our responsibility to make sure the breeder is responsible and ethical and has carried out all the relevant health testing, but on the other, the public should have some sort of protection - where you would expect a 'good' breeder to do everything required and trust they have done everything in their power so the litter is healthy and free from avoidable genetic disease.

Thanks for sharing your story, and I hope your dog gets well soon.
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-01-2013, 11:49 PM
My puppy did not have a guarantee but she came with a short insurance policy with her puppy pack.She had to see a vet within a certain amount of hours for the policy to be active.I did this.

Im now looking back through her paper work and on the receipt of purchase it even says that she has had no vaccinations to date.This really is bad and i must have been mad to have purchased this puppy.

Another thing that was not right was that i asked before i went to pick my puppy up that the heart result certificates were available for me to see.They were not available when i got there.The breeder told me that they were in the loft and he/she would email me them when he/she found them.Eventually after several emails he/she sent me the photocopies and the dates on them were 5 days after the purchase date of my puppy.I really was an idiot.Still lesson learned and remembered.

Never mind,she is now a very happy,loyal,and much loved member of my family and as long as her spine does not get too much worse,i hope she will be with me for a lot of years to come.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2013, 12:03 AM
The pups i have bought have had no jab's ,i just assumed it was to make sure jab 1 and 2 came from the same source, also it used to be very rare to see Boxers tested for Hd, dont know if thats changed....
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »