Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Fostering help

I am going part time at work soon (latest would be after xmas but hopefully before) and as i will have a bit more time i was thinking of fostering. This is something we have considered before but due to us both working full time we have not pursuded it.

Anyway what tips can current fosters offer? What are the good the bad and the ugly bits?? Also will me having 2 unspayed bitches cause an issue?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I tried fostering twice and ended up keeping both of them!!! So eversuffing husband is saying "no more just yet"!!!

I wish you all the best and think it's a brilliant thing to do. I was lucky that my own dogs got on with the fostered dogs so no problems when we decided I couldn't let them go
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi, Good points helping an animal in need, watching their confidence grow or their body weight if stray thats come from the streets or just mistreated seeing them settled in a new home and knowing by having this dog it frees up space to help another. Bad bits,be prepared for toileting mishaps have plenty of cleaning fluid/kitchen roll although older dogs can be clean from the word go,depends on previous owners,need to watch the first week or so to decide if likely to chew things,may take a few nights for them to settle so can loose some sleep Ugly, when your own dogs don't get on with foster dog or vice versa not very nice when your own dogs miserable in their own house Although out of 7 fosters have only had 1 serious problem and this dog had the same problem with other dogs you get to know what works with your own and what they will tolerate.my 2 are both male castrated beagles age 6 they have been great with female older dogs tolerated pups of both sexes but found them annoying because of all of that puppy energy Not yet tried an older male but would try as long as i had kennel back up if their was a major clash Good luck, give it a try just keep in mind the dog isn't yours, or we may well now have 9 dogs !!!The one that clashed so badly with one of my dogs was actually the most rewarding as she did learn a lot and had my son had his way would have stayed, she was a 1year old husky that had spent her life in a garden so had a lot of catching up to do!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I have thought about fostering as well, so will watch this thread
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I think as long as i have it in my head from the start that this is not MY dog i would be ok. Also the thought of making another family happy and complete is a nice one.

Will def have a good think about it . . .
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the advise but this all seems moot now! I have spoken to a couple of greyhound/lurcher rescues and as soon as i mention my unspayed girls the answer is no. Seems such a shame that they are going to lose out because of this buy hey ho.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 11:06 AM
even if you had a female??? or are you thinking males will be better?Are you only interested in that specific breed? I can't see why a neutered male would be a problem or pups ...but lets see someone else may have reasons as to why not did they give a reason? I'll shut up now
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 11:17 AM
My 3 are fine with other girls or boys but of course the boys would have to be desexed. I really didnt think it was going to be so much of an issue! The reasons they gave are to do with temprement issues with unspayed bitches causing friction and the fact a dog could still sire a litter 12 weeks after being done.

I was looking at greyhound/lurcher rescues.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I don't see why you couldn't foster a neutered male (if castrated more than a few months ago), another bitch or a pup.

I've done a bit of work with local rescues and altough it's not ideal to have an entire dog in a fosterer's home, it can be worked around by fostering dogs who cannot reproduce.

I doubt it has anythign to do with temperament or behaviours of different dogs purel because they've all been in differnet environments before being in rescue. No doubt there would be some dogs who wouldn't get along with yours and vice versa but for the most part, I don't see a problem.

I am fostering a white GSD pup, obviously entire because of her age. My dogs are desexed but my sable GSD bitch puppy of the same age isn't. My criteria for fostering is that the rescue dog(s) are child friendly. I can deal with the dogs if they have issues with each other and can seaparate if necessary.

I think it's a real shame that they've said no. Please persevere. Keep on at those rescues you want to foster for. Put it to them that you could help a pup, or another bitch.
Also have you tried a little further afield? Maybe go out of your imeediate area to lcoa lrescues as well as breed specific ones. A lot of general rescues have lurchers too.

Laura xx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I agree Stumpywop i have also come across lots of greyhound/lurchers in non specific breed rescues so keep an eye out!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >