View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:26 AM

the homeless and dogs: should homeless people be permitted to own dogs?

do you think that homeless people should be allowed dogs?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't see why not, as long as they are being cared for properly.
Most of the homeless people I know/see, spend their money on the dog, and not themselves.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Can of worms...

Part of me say's they shouldn't because they may struggle to provide proper care for the dog. However I do know of a couple of homeless people who have dogs and I can vouch that the dogs are the first to be fed, and that they take far better care of their dogs than they do themselves. What with all the dogs already in rescue centres, what would happen to the dogs if they were taken away? PTS?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:37 AM
There is a woman with a dog, in the centre of Manchester. As soon as you give her money, she goes and buys tins of dog food for her dog.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:47 AM
i asked this question as I am not sure! but i know homeless people look after thier dogs well! I just think if the dog got hurt, sick or ill, could they pay the vet bills! does anyone know if they get help for vet bills! I see lots of homeless people with dogs and always stop and give them food for thier doggies, if I have any on me, and sometime I will buy a can of dog food or some treats for the dog/s!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-04-2005, 10:48 AM
It is not black and white. Some people should not be allowed to have dogs, full stop. I know of very comfortably off people that I would not see as being in any way fit to own any animal. Equally I know of people that are homeless because they were not prepared to be parted from their dogs. Also there are people, homeless through choice/circumstance, who have acquired a dog and are totally devoded to them and would go hungry themselves rather than see their dogs wanting. Admittedly some do use their dogs as a form of blackmail to gain money, but despicable actions towards animals are not restricted to the poor or the homeless.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by staffiemad
i asked this question as I am not sure! but i know homeless people look after thier dogs well! I just think if the dog got hurt, sick or ill, could they pay the vet bills! does anyone know if they get help for vet bills! I see lots of homeless people with dogs and always stop and give them food for thier doggies, if I have any on me, and sometime I will buy a can of dog food or some treats for the dog/s!

There are animal charities that help people who cannot afford to pay vets bills. You do not have to be homeless.

There are also charities that go around and help the homeless people with dogs.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by staffiemad
I just think if the dog got hurt, sick or ill, could they pay the vet bills! does anyone know if they get help for vet bills!
There are many people in houses who can ill afford to pay vet bills too
and there are those who dont take the pet to the vets because they cant be bothered
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes I had a link to that one H
will see if I can find it
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I would just be thankful that they have something in thier life to which they can show love, and not be shunned.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »