Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2016, 08:49 PM

My dog seems "off"

Hey all,

I know you are not animal doctors or anything of the sort but I will post this here anyway.

My dog seems to be "off" today. He wants to be around me all the time and when he is not he wants to be outside. He seems anxious but has been eating. I am not sure what to make of it. He will be 10 at the end of January and I am hoping it is not the start of something serious. I think a trip to the vet may be in order. Thanks for any advice.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2016, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Hey all,

I know you are not animal doctors or anything of the sort but I will post this here anyway.

My dog seems to be "off" today. He wants to be around me all the time and when he is not he wants to be outside. He seems anxious but has been eating. I am not sure what to make of it. He will be 10 at the end of January and I am hoping it is not the start of something serious. I think a trip to the vet may be in order. Thanks for any advice.
I'm not too sure that I would get anxious too soon if he is eating and pooing normally.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2016, 10:07 PM
That's what my husband said too. The dog is just not behaving normally to me. Maybe I'm over reacting as I am known to do. Thanks.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2016, 10:09 PM
We all know our dogs best and when we think something may be wrong, it's best to keep a very close eye on it and seek help if it carries on or gets worse.

Good luck. I hope it's just something simple that clears up quickly
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2016, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
That's what my husband said too. The dog is just not behaving normally to me. Maybe I'm over reacting as I am known to do. Thanks.
My wife does that too.........
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I'd wait and see, either something will develop or he'll perk up. They can all have an off day just like us.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2016, 06:16 AM
Is there something outside that he is trying to tell you about. Other than that maybe he is in a little pain. As they get older they do get twinges. Keep an eye and if in doubt seek vets advice. Might need a mild inflammatory medication. Take care hope he will be OK.
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2016, 08:08 AM
If he's active, eating, pooping, and interested in surroundings I would wait on it being a health issue that needs a vet. If he doesn't have a more cushioned spot to lay maybe try that and see if joints are bothering him. Mine are as the snowstorms cross the US right now. :/ The dirt and grass (or snow if you've got it) would be softer but usually when my more sensitive one gets like that (she's turning 10 this month) it means something happened while I was sleeping like people doing construction work, checking meters, kids that ran by making noise before school, someone's escaped dog wandering in the yard, or her nemesis the raccoon went by last night. Then if you get stressed over them being stressed and the dog is close to you it can end up feeding itself. I would give him something extra comfy or move to a spot he can use some furniture and do something calm for awhile to see if he settles. Sometimes it does turn out mine has an upset stomach for some reason and has been restless and asking to go out because she's getting ready to have diarrhea or feels like she's going to vomit and is very clean in the house or wants grass to help. At her age we still sometimes just monitor that these things don't repeat or other symptoms start before going to the vet. She's never been good at consistently eating meals and the past few years if her stomach stays empty too long or she gets the water/kibble ratio wrong it makes her sick.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2016, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Is there something outside that he is trying to tell you about.
Good suggestion. That could be.
Our normally calm dog has been upset by the fireworks and is now disinclined to go out in the darkness.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2016, 08:32 AM
He's lucky to have a good caring owner that picks up on his moods. Fingers crossed for nothing to worry about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >