Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Run free my best boy - Loki Utonagan - 18.9.2004 - 26.10 2015

Loki. My angel, my beautiful boy.

We don't really know what happened to him for certain but we think it was a combination of his epilepsy and degenerative myelopathy. He started being sick, and losing weight in the last couple of months but he was still himself. On his 11th birthday (18th Sept) he started a huge amount of fits, 28. After that, although he seemed to bounce back, the vomiting got worse. The vets were worried about a tumour. He went to the vets for two nights on 6 October and they did tests (including ultrasound and X-rays and started a barium study) but couldn't find anything so they treated him for an ulcer.

Loki rallied for a bit and had a great morning last Thursday when he was running around, barking at us to throw imaginary sticks for him. But by Friday he was being sick again so we took him back to the vets. The vet was very concerned but we told him we wanted to look after him at home and he had some more medication. Loki hated being away from us and if we were going to lose him, we wanted to be there for him. Things were up and down for the weekend but we knew we had to let him go on Monday - he went downhill so quickly that day, that day his back legs wouldn't hold him up, he was still sick and there was no way we could see him suffer.

He wanted to be in his usual place in the garden, in the sun and with the breeze in his fur. We sat holding him and put a towel on him to keep him warm. We brought him in when it got cooler.

He wanted to be where he always was - right in the centre of the family, so we all sat with him stroking and cuddling him while we waited for the vet, but I sent the children to their rooms when he came. Loki wasn't in pain, I am certain of that, and he went peacefully in his sleep, in my arms, while I told him he's my best boy and assured him "I'm here," and with his beautiful smile on his face.

We are all devastated and I don't know how to live without him by my side - he came everywhere with us and loved being in the car. He was always with me. The loss really is a physical pain. We did the best we could and we did the right thing letting him go when we did so he didn't suffer, but I feel incomplete without him. I really can't bear his loss.

He was the most amazing boy, he was an integral part of our family and my best friend. I am just glad he can't suffer those horrible fits any more but I wish I didn't have to talk about him in the past sense. We had so many adventures, me and my Loki.

Run free my best boy.

Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 10:02 PM
My beautiful boy, Loki

We had to say goodbye to you two days ago and we all miss you so much. Nothing’s the same, you were our first baby and this family is incomplete without you – you’ve always been here and the world is a cold, lonely place without you. You gave us all your unconditional love, selfless friendship and trust- all of us adored you and always will.
Your loss is a physical pain. You were always by my side and I ache for your beautiful, smiley face, your soft expression, your sense of humour, your mischief and stubbornness, and I ache to bury my head in your soft fur. You always comforted me and I tried to do the same for you. You were so gentle. Thank you for being patient when I didn’t understand, or I was rushed, having to do something else or be somewhere else.
You had so much spirit, Loki. I am humbled by your courage and bravery. You shrugged off those horrible seizures and carried on each time. You always stood your ground but you never hurt other dogs either. I am awed by your zest for life, your love of the simple things – you have taught me so much.
I am so sorry I couldn’t stop the fits, even though I tried. I am sorry I couldn’t make you better recently and I knew I had to let you go. You knew, as you lay in my arms and I gazed at your lovely, smiley face. So no more fits Loki. No more drugs. No more illness.
You loved the children and they miss you loads – I told them you are free from epilepsy, in heaven. Safe – a new star in the sky.
Stay close to me, please Loki, even though I can’t see you anymore. I was honoured and privileged to have had you in my life. I carry you in my heart – always. We all do. We had some fantastic adventures, didn’t we? Some crazy, brilliant times.

I love you so much, my best boy, my Loki. xxxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Linda I am so sorry to hear you have lost your lovely boy.

Sleep well Loki , you will be sadly missed xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-10-2015, 10:07 PM
So so sorry Linda, what a beautiful handsome lad he was and I for one will never forget him. I know and understand exactly how you feel, been through it myself and I know I will have to go through it again.Words cannot describe the loss of one of these dogs, they are part of you and when they have to leave you part of you is missing and can never be replaced. Run free Loki
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Ah, so sorry to hear this. Run free sweet boy.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2015, 10:13 PM
So very sorry to hear about Loki. He was a special boy.

Run free Loki. Shine down brightly xxx
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2015, 03:40 AM
So sorry to hear of the loss of Loki. May the good memories you have of him bring you comfort
Carole
Supervisor

29-10-2015, 05:51 AM
So sorry xx
Annestaff
Supervisor

29-10-2015, 06:09 AM
So very sorry to hear of your loss

Sleep tight Loki x
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-10-2015, 07:34 AM
So sorry Linda to hear this sad news.
He was a beautiful boy and will be terribly missed.
Beautiful memories though, keep them in mind.
Run free at the bridge Loki, never to be forgotten xx
Big hugs xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >