Our sister sites
Our sister sites
malamute2007
New Member!
Female 

02-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Pcos

Hello everyone
Im 34 and was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome in 1998 the same year we started ttc.(still no babies or even conception) 15 years later, Anyways ive had 2 laparascopys and am going in for a 3rd one on 30th april. The question i want to ask is i weigh just under 12 stone and im 5ft 2, my sister is getting married next July and im a bridesmaid, how long will it take me to lose 3-4 stone of excess weight im carrying ? I have just bought a cross trainer and have just started using it yesterday for half an hour as i havent exercised in about 5 years properly. Hope someone can help me as im really hoping this weightloss goal is acheivable
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi, if you are determined to lose weight then I suggest you go to weight watchers or slimming world, the nesecity to be weighed each week is very helpful, and great for making friends too
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 04:37 PM
I know someone who lost a ton of weight at slimming world.

I really like myfitnesspal, they have a website and a iPhone app. It's good cause it forces you to be honest with yourself about what you are eating, and it has stopped me eating constantly, cause it never seems as much until you have to write it all down!

Also, if you want something a bit more fun, Tiffany Rothe workouts are excellent, largely no jumping around, so low intensity, and she's great, really fun, only ten mins long, so you can do loads in a row, or just one when you're at a bit of a loose end.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I lost 3 and a half stones in 11 months with virtually no exercise as I was laid up with a broken ankle.

No clubs or gimmicks - just three meals a day (fat controlled) and a snack at night.

Gotta say, I didn't like the results so haven't kept it up
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I lost 5 stone in six months by doing my own thing but I didn't do it a healthy way as such, I had to lose it as I was having a hysterectomy due to having cancer and was not at a safe weight to have the operation, but losing that weight did get me through the operation safetly with no problems. The consultant that did the surgery thanked me afterwards for losing the weight and was very impressed with me, he said it certainly made his job alot easier by me doing it.

I just ate the same thing day in and day out for six months and I went swimming near enough EVERY day except Saturdays, I started off doing 30 minutes swim and then worked up to an hour every day. My mobility is very bad and walking difficult so swimming is the only exercise I do. I usually do 25-30 lengths a day.

What I ate was:

Breakfest: 2 weetabix, berries, banana, milk and a cup of tea

Lunch: salad (no dressing), baked potato, tin of fish, tomato, cucumber, lettuce. Apple. Yogurt.

Tea: 2 slices of bread with cottage cheese.

I ate plenty of melon, apples. I drank water throughout the day.

I must admit I felt really good on this eating plan but I wouldn't suggest it for anyone else as eating the same old thing every day isn't a good idea but to just prove it is achievable.

Mind you seven months on I've put it all back on and I've got to loose it all again as I've got a gallstone now but I'm finding it difficult this time losing it.

I would suggest joining a slimming club if they work for you. Good luck anyway. Just thought I would tell you my story Do the way that is best for you to stick at.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by malamute2007 View Post
Hello everyone
Im 34 and was diagnosed with polycystic ovary syndrome in 1998 the same year we started ttc.(still no babies or even conception) 15 years later, Anyways ive had 2 laparascopys and am going in for a 3rd one on 30th april. The question i want to ask is i weigh just under 12 stone and im 5ft 2, my sister is getting married next July and im a bridesmaid, how long will it take me to lose 3-4 stone of excess weight im carrying ? I have just bought a cross trainer and have just started using it yesterday for half an hour as i havent exercised in about 5 years properly. Hope someone can help me as im really hoping this weightloss goal is acheivable
Good heavens! I cannot believe you need to lose that much weight to look good?

I'm about 5'3" and weigh about the same as you - do not consider myself obese and am a 16 in most clothes sizes. 18 for tops.

8 stone for a target weight is a bit extreme in my opinion - not unless you've always been 'skinny'.

You sound a bit down about this. Wish I could improve your self esteem. You are hardly life threateningly FAT!
Asti
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Good heavens! I cannot believe you need to lose that much weight to look good?

I'm about 5'3" and weigh about the same as you - do not consider myself obese and am a 16 in most clothes sizes. 18 for tops.

8 stone for a target weight is a bit extreme in my opinion - not unless you've always been 'skinny'.

You sound a bit down about this. Wish I could improve your self esteem. You are hardly life threateningly FAT!
That was a good post Tangutica and I completely agree with you, the OP isn't that overweight (wish I was her weight ). I wouldn't have thought there was any urgency in wanting to lose at that weight. Better to lose it slowly anyway.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Zest magazine is really great too. It has different workouts and suggestions every month, as well as some really lovely recipies.

If you are really serious, so many gyms are doing special offers at the moment, so you could join a class like Tread and Tone.

I used to shy away from classes, but I've found a brilliant one locally that makes me do more than I ever thought possible and the results are amazing.
Jo_McLoughlin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by malamute2007 View Post
Hello everyone
I've been diagnosed with PCOS recently as well and one of the recommendations from the consultant that I was referred to was to cut down on the amount of carbs I eat and eat more protein. This is because PCOS can be worsened by spikes in insulin.

With regards to the weightloss I would say that a loss of no more than 3 stone would bring you to a perfectly healthy weight (I'm about the same height as you are). A healthy weight loss would be approx 0.5kg per month as far as I can see online.

What really helped me slim down for my wedding a couple of years ago was to go to a bootcamp class a couple of times a week as for me going on a diet doesn't work (that's not to say it won't work for you). Having other people around you exercising with you makes it easier not to just say I'm not going to do any tonight!

Also, my advice would be to take measurements of your waist, under bust and thighs etc as sometimes if your exercising loads then weighing yourself isn't a good measurement of slimming down. Good luck! Jo xox
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Jo_McLoughlin View Post
I've been diagnosed with PCOS recently as well and one of the recommendations from the consultant that I was referred to was to cut down on the amount of carbs I eat and eat more protein. This is because PCOS can be worsened by spikes in insulin.

With regards to the weightloss I would say that a loss of no more than 3 stone would bring you to a perfectly healthy weight (I'm about the same height as you are). A healthy weight loss would be approx 0.5kg per month as far as I can see online.

What really helped me slim down for my wedding a couple of years ago was to go to a bootcamp class a couple of times a week as for me going on a diet doesn't work (that's not to say it won't work for you). Having other people around you exercising with you makes it easier not to just say I'm not going to do any tonight!

Also, my advice would be to take measurements of your waist, under bust and thighs etc as sometimes if your exercising loads then weighing yourself isn't a good measurement of slimming down. Good luck! Jo xox
Good advice Jo. I hope the OP returns to read it as it is a while since they posted about this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >