Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:12 PM

Really saddened

I was looking at a free paper in the Dogs section and now I feel quite sad. I know there are alot of animals in welfare and kennels but the amount of people selling or giving there pets away is unreal
One add said sale through no fault of it's own!!!!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:22 PM
It is heartbreaking to read through the adverts some people just sell and buy animals like toys
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Some are genuine and for one reason or another have to get rid of their much beloved pet some genuine people advertise their dogs perhaps because they dont want them going into a rehoming centre so would rather sell them or rehome them theirselves, I dont have a problem with this not everybody using the free ads are morons but unfortunatley the free ad sites attract a lot (not all) of puppy peddlars most of them are easy to spot as they have numerous breeds for sale all the time. Sad but just one of those things, always been this way cant see it changing tbh.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I agree with you Laura we got two of our dogs through the free ads papers and they lived long happy lives when they came to us, the people advertising them were both scared to place them with the RSPCA as they were both very dog and people aggresive and they felt the RSPCA would put them down.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:05 PM
agree its sad the amount of people getting rid of their pets. unfortunetely there are ALOT of people getting rid of them for the wrong reasons.

we got sash through a website, but the guy was really genuine. so not all people who advertise are bad people, sometimes it is the safer option than taking them to a rescue centre where they might have to spend the next 6 months or longer.
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny
agree its sad the amount of people getting rid of their pets. unfortunetely there are ALOT of people getting rid of them for the wrong reasons.

we got sash through a website, but the guy was really genuine. so not all people who advertise are bad people, sometimes it is the safer option than taking them to a rescue centre where they might have to spend the next 6 months or longer.
People tend to buy a breed of dog without doing any research beforehand and then they find out that it's size, needs, temperament etc does not suit them so they then sell it on. Others are genuine people who honestly cannot keep the dog on. It's a shame about the former and no amount of education seems to make them think before they buy.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 03:13 PM
it's a big responsibility owning a dog its not something you can go in to lightly,some people just dont have a clue they think aww look a puppy isnt it cute but when it grows and grows they decide its not cute anymore and they dont want it people like this should not entertain getting a dog they dont deserve to own one
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I think some people also choose a dog because of its looks etc and dont take into consideration the breed characteristics
Cazzh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
I think some people also choose a dog because of its looks etc and dont take into consideration the breed characteristics
They certainly do. I have a Weimaraner and the amount of people that stop us and tell us they want one of those as they are such a beautiful colour! I tell them there is far more to the breed than just a colour and ask them to research the pros and cons of them before buying one as they may find they have taken on more than they can handle!

Amazes me though, the amount of people who buy a certain breed, get the dog or pup home and then ask 'does anyone know anything about them?'

Research that breed you 'like the look of' before you buy one. Prevention is better than cure as they say.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I suppose that if there was some irresistible reason for re-homing my two, I might go through the ads in the local paper, because it would have to be stressed that both boys should go together - they've been together for 7 years now (all Snorri's life); re-homing would be quite a shock for them, and I'd want to minimize that for them (even though it would destroy me).

I'd HAVE to do it myself, I couldn't bear to see an organisation take the final decision from me, and possibly split them up. I'd want to see where they were going, too - to as nice a place as possible (like my cousin's place near Aviemore, Inverness-shire).

So I wouldn't assume automatically that an advert of that nature was an uncaring one, perhaps it was the last remaining option for someone who is now grieving.

Snorri
:smt102
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >