Our sister sites
Our sister sites
swb1
New Member!
Male 

15-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Insurance Changed Document of Insurance and won't pay out claim

Hi,

I got pet insurance for my pug after she had been diagnosed with cystitis (bladder stones). When I got the document of insurance it said an exclusion to pre-existing conditions. Fine, which meant the bladder stones.

Well, 4 months after she was cleared of the bladder stones, on two different occasions she had a bladder infection (ecoli), which the vet said was not related to stones, since she had none. They were all gone.

When I filled out a claim, the insurance company rejected it and sent out another Document of Insurance with an exclusion to ecoli and said that is why they are not paying the claim. The vet even called them personally to explain, but they are not hearing it and won't pay.

Anyone been through something similiar or have any advice to give?

Thanks,

swb1
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I nearly had a similar problem with Shady when I took out a policy with Sainsburys.
Shady went down with a nasty sickness bug and ended up in the emergency vets on a drip and then transferred to my vet next day. Lots of tests were done and the bill was huge.
The claim went in and then Sainsburys contacted me saying Shady had a bout of sickness 2 years earlier so they were not sure they would pay it. Cue me panicking as it was well outside my means.
However my vet contacted them and said it was no way related and dogs do get sick from time to time and they paid up thank goodness.
Not sure who you are with but it seems a bit strange if this is something your dog has never had before and it only started after you had got your insurance.
I think I would look to taking this further. Not sure where you would go but someone on here may know.
swb1
New Member!
Male 

16-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I am with PetCare/24 Pet Watch Insurance. I have contacted the California Department of Insurance regarding this matter, but I haven't heard anything definitive back from them as yet.

swb1