register for free

Dog News

Views sought on dog control at Shropshire landmark

Visitors to a Shrewsbury beauty spot are being asked for their views on how to tackle the problem of dog mess and out of control pets.

The Forestry Commission manages Haughmond Hill, near Shrewsbury, for people, wildlife and timber. And each year approximately a quarter of a million visits are made to the site, which is particularly popular with dog walkers.

But in recent months, the Forestry Commission has received complaints from visitors, those with and without dogs, regarding dog fouling and behaviour around the site and specifically in the busy area around the car park and café.

It has now reached such a level that the Forestry Commission feels that they need to make a bold move to ensure that everyone can enjoy their visit to the popular woods.

And they are now running a consultation with members of the public proposing a dog-on-lead zone around the car park for dog walkers, café, play features and the first 400m of each of the trails through the woodland.

They feel that the measures will help to resolve issues including safety for dogs in the car park, conflict arising between motorists and dog owners, hygiene and disturbance issues around the picnic tables, dogs running in and out of the café, conflict between dogs, children and vulnerable people being frightened and dog fouling going unnoticed.

The consultation will run up until January 16 2015 to give as many people as possible the opportunity to contribute their views.

Once the Forestry Commission has had an opportunity to consider all the comments, they plan to announce their findings and proposals by mid Feb 2015 both on site and online.
Article, photograph, and interesting sidebox comment here...

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2...hire-landmark/

It sounds like there are too many irresponsible dog owners spoiling things for others.

Your comments and views:
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I think the problem is there are just too many people there now, since they put the cafe in (IMO it was fine without the cafe, it isn't that big a place!)

It used to be a lovely place to go, I used to take my horses up and ride around, and had my dogs along with me, but last time I went up there we couldn't even park the car in the car park it was so full.

I think the problem is that wherever you get a lot of people you will get a lot of problems with people complaining about things

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top