View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Just been over her with a flea comb I borrowed off a pal and there were a few on her.
Have been onto vet and ordered some advocate. It's only a couple of quid cheaper online anyway.
Off to PAH to get my own flea comb now.
Thanks for all your help. xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2012, 08:52 PM
After seeing what Fromtline did to one of our kittens, I will never use it again on dog or cat. Our vet recommend ends Advocate and that is what we will use.

You can buy a very effective spray called ACCLAIM, used to be only vets supplied however you can buy online now. Full instructions are giving on the can.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2012, 03:14 PM
All my dogs (all 6!!) have erupted in fleas. Frontline didn't touch any of them so I had to bathe them all and use Advantage which has worked.
Acclaim is excellent. It may seem more expensive but you only need to use it every 12 months so it works out cheaper. They had it in Pets At Home last week but sold out as it seems everyone is having probs with fleas at the moment!!
NightDiamond
New Member!
Female 

29-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
All my dogs (all 6!!) have erupted in fleas. Frontline didn't touch any of them so I had to bathe them all and use Advantage which has worked.
Acclaim is excellent. It may seem more expensive but you only need to use it every 12 months so it works out cheaper. They had it in Pets At Home last week but sold out as it seems everyone is having probs with fleas at the moment!!
Zoe, my dog has a couple of squatters and I bathed her with Vetzyme Insecticidal Shampoo on Tuesday, how long do I have to wait to administer Advantage? Any idea!?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I have been battling with the little ******s this week (fleas that is) never noticed my dogs scratching but i did comb through and fund quitea lot of fleas on one of my dogs who had obviously been the carrier i'd say, a few on my other dog. Major panic ! don't know how long they had them but i'd say a while judging by the amount on Kym.

I usually just use Bob Martin or Beaphar spot on treatments regularly and have not had a problem before, maybe its the humid weather we have had here thats caused an epidemic lol.

I went straight outand bought Frontline which cost me £25 fro the chemist, anyway it didn't work they still had fleas on them a couple of days later. I managed to get most of the fleas off before treating them with a comb but of course its the unhatched eggs etc.

I took them to the vet and got some Advocate and more or less immediately i could see dead fleas on them. I had to buy a good insecticidal spray for the house as well - cost me a fortune altogether to get rid of some ruddy fleas. In future i will just get the Advocate or i might order some Advantage which i believe is good ?

I have spent all week washing, hoovering and spraying everything in sight !
aron
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Yeah need a good flea comb and keep washing and spray anything you can think of the dog comes in contact with had. Same problem end up as a small pillow
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Got the Advantage last night and put it on. I'll flea comb her tonight and hopefully the little bu66ers will be dead.
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
I use Advocate on my gang but also spray the house with a home made lemon spray - easy made - 2 lemons cut up, put in a pot with abount 2lts of water and boil up till lemons are very soft, mash them down then let it cool and settle over night, put through a sive and let it settle again for the fine setterment to settle then put into a spray bottle and spray round the house/ dog bedding, just be careful near highly polish units ect as IT will mark them. Have used this for years and IT will kill fleas. I get the dogs to bed at night and spray around [ not into the air but close to the carpet/floor/chairs ect] then hoover in the morning.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2012, 09:39 PM
It is estimated that 95 per cent of flea eggs, larvae and pupae live in the environment – on beds, rugs, carpets and sofas - not on your pet. And to think of your pet as a 'roving restaurant' that they can jump onto when it passes!

Longer cold spells usually mean longer use of CH and in todays warm, often carpeted homes - fleas thrive all year round. Fleas can survive in your environment for many months with no pet present at all.

I have to be more vigilant for ticks living in Cyprus but, with all marble tiled floors and very little 'plushy' furniture or comfy soft pet beds etc. fleas have never been a problem. In the UK it was the opposite.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2012, 11:41 AM
No fleas two combing in a row. Still spaying the house though just to be on the safe side
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2