Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2006, 08:12 PM

*Very* smelly wind!

Hiya
Over the past two days Tigger has been releasing something which smells almost toxic in the form of gas/wind. It really is awful and even he sits up, looks around suspiciously at me (!!) and moves to another location.

He is being fed James Wellbeloved mixed with a little HiLife puppy pouches-just because he doesnt like the dried food on its own. Do you think either of these could be the culprit or is it possible that he's eaten something on a walk to make him smell this bad?
His poo alternates between being sloppy (usually on walks) and firm but does tend to pong a bit.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-09-2006, 08:32 PM
If the stinky wind begun when you started adding the puppy pouches-then yes,but i always found JWB to give dogs wind anyway! You may wanna try adding some warm water to soften the food and it will also release smell also.

Poo though can be a good indicator as to whats going on inside their body.Continual diarohea for example would indicate an upset tummy and if it continues for more than 24hrs-see a vet.

I have always found though that when i excercise my dog,his first poo will be quite solid,but when he does his second and sometimes third (i walk him long distances-he hasnt got botty problems!)-they are somewhat runnier.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:01 PM
you (and when I say you, I actually mean the dog ) could try some charcoal biscuits - they seem to help with toxic wind blowing in from the east

thandi
Tigger2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks both of you

Steve,
I do tend to add a little water, maybe Ill make it a bit warmer. The smell more-or-less coincides with the wet food puppy pouches but he really seems to love it. Maybe theres a better wet food to mix in with JWB. I know that NaturesMenu is supposed to be good but my local PAH dont stock the puppy assorted box.
As for the diarrhoea, yeah I meant it alternates btw sloppy on his walks (read mad tearing about and splasing in any water/mud available!) and normal firm ones at home.

thandi,
Will I get charcoal from any pet store then? Never heard of that so will look into it, thanks.

Oh, actually he IS due to be wormed, dont suppose that could be anything to do with a smelly derriere, could it?
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Yes I would think it is the Hi-life causing the problems. My dog is on JWB and he doesn't often have wind - although he is quite happy to eat it dry. Why not try putting some sardines on it to make it more exciting for him. Nature diet is very good if they still do it at pets at home although its a complete wet food and you won't need the dried food at all. I would feed it to my dog but he is so greedy he gobbles it up in seconds and then winges cos he feels sick and then usually brings it up again 10 mins later so I keep him on the dried food now because he eats that slowly and chews every piece.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tigger2 View Post
Thanks both of you

Steve,
I do tend to add a little water, maybe Ill make it a bit warmer. The smell more-or-less coincides with the wet food puppy pouches but he really seems to love it. Maybe theres a better wet food to mix in with JWB. I know that NaturesMenu is supposed to be good but my local PAH dont stock the puppy assorted box.
As for the diarrhoea, yeah I meant it alternates btw sloppy on his walks (read mad tearing about and splasing in any water/mud available!) and normal firm ones at home.

thandi,
Will I get charcoal from any pet store then? Never heard of that so will look into it, thanks.

Oh, actually he IS due to be wormed, dont suppose that could be anything to do with a smelly derriere, could it?
Nature diet is just as good if you can get hold of it. Failing that, I do know that PAH do bags of frozen minced chicken. A bit of that mixed in might do the trick (after it's been cooked)

Dogs poos do tend to get loose on long walks. The walking/running stimulates the bowels, causing slightly sloppier motions.

Luca has terrible wind sometimes, it's sometimes that bad, it can strip skin in a 5 mile radius. I've lost count how many times my OH has asked me too break his nose so he can't smell it
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:21 PM
it could be anything to be honest, although dietary change (the addition of the puppy pouches) sounds likely.

Charcoal biscuits are readily available at pet stores - black biscuits - dont panic if you see a black poo though!

thandi
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Luca has terrible wind sometimes, it's sometimes that bad, it can strip skin in a 5 mile radius. I've lost count how many times my OH has asked me too break his nose so he can't smell it
oh good grief - I just spat tea all over my laptop after reading that!
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:28 PM
yep would think it was the food if it's just started. Although I think doggy wind is the most vile thing in the world - worse when they've been eating tripe sticks or liver cake
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 09:32 PM
i fed JWB for a long time and mine didn't have wind so it could be the pouches ....it may be the wrong combination for your dog as JWB is a complete food on its own
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >