Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Smelly dog wee

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me please. My Golden Retriever bitch Ruby has had a couple of piddle accidents in the house over the last week and her wee absolutely stinks the house out, it's like a really strong fishy smell. She has had a urine infection before where she needed to pee about 30 times a day and just dribbled but her wee didn't smell like this and she doesnt have to go any more than normal.

Does anyone think she may have a different sort of urine infection? Is this possible? Also the last few mornings when Ive got up, there have been a few small sicky patches on the carpet, but I'm not sure if they're from her or my other dog.

Thanks x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 08:07 PM
If I were you, I'd try and get a sample and pop it into the vet, it will take only seconds for them to see if it's infected, that's the best route I think Good luck. It very much sounds like it to me, especially if she's going more? If left, these urine infections can cause major problems.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I'll have to follow her round the garden and try to catch some wee - eek!!

Thanks for the advice, i'll get on with that in the morning, you're right, it's prob best that she sees a vet just in case x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I used to get a big flat tray, and quickly shove it underneath her when she was going and THEN pour some into a small pot, otherwise you've got no chance! Good luck, but it's well worth it.
sarah8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Funnily enough, my GR has just had a urine infection - cystitis. She had a number of accidents in the home, drinking more than usual and her wee didn't smell nice either. A week of antibiotics and she is back to her usual self. Trip to the vets will sort it - although I was £44 lighter after.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Sounds almost definitely like some kind of urine infection.

The vet's with a sample is your next step.

Good luck - ABs should put it right in no time

x0x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Gemma a strong 'fishy smell' when a bitch urinates should always be investigated ASAP .

A fishy smell is usually an indication of some kind of infection. In addition to a urinary tract infection it can be an indication of vaginitis (check for any discharge) and in an unspeyed bitch, pyometra (which can cause a bitch to drink and urinate more ).