Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Another vomit thread

We were sitting upstairs on the computers about 10 mins ago, when we heard Teagan make a funny noise downstairs.

I went down, and she had sicked up all her breakfast.
Thats all that was in the sick - just soggy food!

She seems a little down, but not too much.

I will give her something light at lunch time, as she doesn't do well when starved.

My question is - do you think I should keep her in today, and not walk her?
Or will walking her be ok?
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 10:45 AM
when mine are sick i usually keep them in,just incase it is a 24 hour bug type thing,i wouldn't like to pass it on to anyone elses dogs
hope Teagan is better soon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Hevvur this sounds more like Teagan regurgitating her meal than vomiting. Dogs do this for a numer of reasons other than illness, sometimes when they have gulped their food down too fast (this can happen in kennels where they eat quickly to secure food the bring it back and eat it at leisure, and bitches sometimes do it when they are nursing puppies who are reaching the weaning stage).

If Teagan seems well otherwise, and is pooing ok (so food is getting through, no blockage )I would keep an eye on her and if you don't want to starve her to rest her tummy feed her small light meals of rice and fish or chicken for a day or so.

Obviously if you are worried about her or she has other symptoms or seems distressed or she continues to do it for over 24 hours see a vet.

Yes I would give her a short her gentle walk not just before eating though, exercise stimulates the dog to evacuate its bowels and keeps things working.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Mini - she was sick over an hour after she was fed - can this still happen if it's been gulped down too quick?
She's never done it before, so I was just a bit concerned.

Not overly worried about her, as she is being her normal self now (barking through the window! lol)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Mini - she was sick over an hour after she was fed - can this still happen if it's been gulped down too quick?
She's never done it before, so I was just a bit concerned.

Not overly worried about her, as she is being her normal self now (barking through the window! lol)
Yes it can happen quite some time after they have eaten, did you give her anything different, perhaps she has sneaked something she shouldn't have done. If she seems ok otherwise and it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry.
Some other causes or regurgitation are blockages (in which case she wouldn't poo) and Megaesophagus explained below, but I would not be concerned after one episode, Amy does it quite often and I put it down to her ageing digestion not coping with greedy gulping . .
click here
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Mini, thanks.
Nope. she just had her normal breakfast that she has every morning, and there is nothing to sneak!!

I'm sure she will be fine, but I will keep my eye on her
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Hi Mini, thanks.
Nope. she just had her normal breakfast that she has every morning, and there is nothing to sneak!!

I'm sure she will be fine, but I will keep my eye on her
I've only just caught this thread, I'm sorry that Teagan was ill this morning. Bradley was sick about 4 hours after his dinner and, although he was a bit quieter than usual he didn't appear ill. He was fine the next day but I kept him on fish and rice on Sunday and then chicken yesterday. I will try him on his normal food today and hope that it was nothing.

Mini has a good point and one that a friend mentioned to me. The night that Bradley was poorly he had one of his favourite meals and maybe he ate it too quickly and thats what caused the sickness, I just don't know.

I do hope she makes a quick recovery. x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 01:40 PM

We've been on a walk around the block, and she seemed fine!
She did a trillion wee's (which is normal for her), and the biggest poo you've ever seen!
Now she's watching tv
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 02:08 PM

We've been on a walk around the block, and she seemed fine!
She did a trillion wee's (which is normal for her), and the biggest poo you've ever seen!
Now she's watching tv
Well that sounds good, hopefully it was just one of those things.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Yep, I think it was just one of those things!
She's been fine all afternoon