Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
Tell her you you are really flattered and honoured that she's chosen that name.

That should really wind her up!
I totally agree with the above. It is outrageous that there is even the possibility that you feel that you may be made to feel guilty.

Honestly, just laugh at her and tell her "isn't it nice to have two family members with the same name" .... that may shut her up!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 11:07 PM
No, I think it's bloody ridiculous that they're even asking you to do that! I'd tell them where to go. Or do what Joto has suggested, tell them you're flattered they're naming their child after your dog
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
My sister won't even look at me at the moment, and mum is just about managing to speak to me, so I really know how you feel, it's rotten and can make you feel utterly worthless...but don't let it! I'm saving money on Christmas presents this year by not buying for them and spending it on the dogs instead

Back on topic though, having a name which is very common with dogs, particularly BC's, is actually quite amusing...especially when someone calls their dog and I come running But seriously, do not change your lovely dog's name. Your cousin is utterly pathetic, either she loves the name and will use it anyway, or she'll get bored of trying to cause another rift and you not biting, and move onto something else to be petty about. She probably has a rather short attention span like my sister does and will soon get bored.
(((hugs)))
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
My Uncle named his Son after a dog he had many years ago. he had a SBT called "Badger". When he had his Son he was name Robert **** Badger ******.

I agree with everyone else. Either your cousin will use the name anyway if she likes it enough or she'll change her mind when she gets bored. If your parents decide you should change your dog's name ask them why exactly. Then ask them what you should change it to. When they come up with someone typically "doggy-ish", refuse point blank and refer to the baby as that name instead. Maybe then they'll get the point.

Seriously though, if we had had a dog called Oscar before I had my Son, his name would still be Oscar. I like the name enough to use it for my Son and would never expect anyone to change their pet's name in favour of me using it.

i think your cousin is being incredibly unreasonable. I would also suggest that she grows up a little bit.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 02:53 PM
no definitely not! dont back down from it, and if your family fall out with you over it then its their loss because its not like your dog is new and you "stole" the name, your dog had it first well before baby was born, most probably even thought about!!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I think you should print instructions off as to how to build a bridge, with "and then get over it" at the bottom.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post
I think you should print instructions off as to how to build a bridge, with "and then get over it" at the bottom.
hahahahahahaha!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I would have two words for her......the first being four letters and beginning with 'f', the second being 'off'. I wouldn't want anything to do with someone so stupid and unreasonable regardless of whether they were related to me.
Agreed!

No way would I change the dogs name. I'd also cut all ties with the person as well, family or not. What an idiot they are!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
OK we're up to 48 posts here and I can not see one single one saying that you should change your dogs name.

Fact is it's just so utterly ridiculous, I cannot believe there are people in this world who are so self centred and arrogant that they would even think about suggesting this.

And there is a bigger issue here too, sooner or latter you are going to have to make decisions which others don't like, you can't make those kind of decisions based on keeping harmony in the family (and that includes your parents) make the decision based on what is RIGHT and that must be b******g obvious from all the replies above
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5