Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Her recall is slim to none (unless it's to the sound of the dog food cupboard opening) so that's not a factor.

I know that I should stand my ground - I just also know the hints are going to start when we all meet up at Christmas and will get stronger and stronger (I think they'll come more from my mother than my cousin tbh) and it's very much expected that I give way on anything and everything within my family... part of me thinks I should just adapt the name now for a quiet life - but I know I'll be absolutely filled with resentment if I do (I already feel like I've been shoved out of the family for my cousin anyway - if they had to choose between me and her - I'm 99% sure they'd choose her).

I get constantly painted as the bad girl and failure of the family anyway - so me being viewed (and treated) as an unreasonable witch will be nothing new - just so angry that this is not my fault at all!
That's so awful for you to be made to feel like that. But if the family treat you like that anyway, changing your doggie's name isn't going to make them think any differently. And that would be why you'd make the change really, not because it's what suits you or it's what you want to do. It doesn't sound as if anyone would appreciate you making the gesture, horrible people - think about your dog and yourself and blow the rest of them.

Plus, your dog can't be the only one out there with that name - will they expect everyone else in the world to change their dogs' names too?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Its certainly not your fault and I would not change the dogs name because they want to call their baby the same name. The dog had the name first its their choice if they want to name the baby after it, not your problem and not fair to confuse your dog either.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Ahem - and what is wrong with the name Fanny? I had an Auntie Fanny, but then it was a popular name a long time ago!
Lol Sorry Malka it was the first name that came to mind as a bit cruel to name a child nowadays, my childhood books had a girl calle Fanny in too and being a rude slang term here it rather shocked me at the time
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd just cut this person out of my life.

NO. Do not change your dogs name. Tell her to do what she wants and butt out of your business.

I am a blunt person. But, good luck hun. x

Why don't you print this thread out and read it to her/them.

They sound as if you would be better off without the lot of them.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 02:08 PM
I agree with everybody else, I wouldnt change the name of my dog, simple as that but I have never been one to bow to pressure anyway and normally stand my ground.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
It reminds me of a story my parents told me (I wasn't born then) that they wanted to call my brother Peter but couldn't because they had already got a staffy called Peter! My brother was called Michael in the end (much nicer name I think anyway!).
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Christmas is going to be soooo pleasant - going to be a less pleasant festive atmosphere than on the average seasonal Eastenders! Especially since we're taking the dogs up with us and last year my cousin persisted in "taking her baby" (the older daughter) in to see the doggies - despite repeated requests to leave them alone in the room they were in as they were very bouncy and hyper... then coming out absolutely theatrically indignant because Nancy had LICKED the baby! (And also bragging about how her daughter "terrorises" their pets at home climbing all over them, pulling their tails and everything... anyone see how THAT story is destined to end in a few years?!)

If anyone sees a small mushroom cloud over the north-east about teatime on Christmas Day it'll be my patience finally snapping!

I'm now of the mind to firmly dig heels in on this one - even on a baby forum (where normally dogs come weeeeelllll behind anything else) they think it's ridonkulous!
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
i wouldnt change the dogs name. and as you clearly dont like your cousin very much im going to assume you dont really spend much time together. So im not sure why it is a problem not like the dog and child will be playing together
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Personally I wouldn't even contemplate changing the dogs name and think you should stand your ground on this one!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2012, 08:35 PM
No way would I agree to change my dogs name for any reason, what a cheek.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >