Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Treibball...

Has anyone tried treibball? Did you enjoy it etc?

I am thinking it might be something good to try with Arrow... I have watched some youtube videos of it, and it looks fun
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Yes----its great when the wind isn't blowing!

I pick balls up at boot sales now but bought the first ones. Only one has been burst and that was at a dogs toy workshop I ran and the woman took it into her head to use it at lunchtime without help!

You need to teach the dog to go to a mark first, then lots of work moving round keeping the ball between you and him. Then you need to teach a nose touch and use that for pushing the ball.

The collies seem to do it for the thrill once they have learnt but Etta the springer does it for the reward at the end.

We took a couple of balls to a display recently and played in between formal sessions. People really loved watching it.

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Yes----its great when the wind isn't blowing!

I pick balls up at boot sales now but bought the first ones. Only one has been burst and that was at a dogs toy workshop I ran and the woman took it into her head to use it at lunchtime without help!

You need to teach the dog to go to a mark first, then lots of work moving round keeping the ball between you and him. Then you need to teach a nose touch and use that for pushing the ball.

The collies seem to do it for the thrill once they have learnt but Etta the springer does it for the reward at the end.

We took a couple of balls to a display recently and played in between formal sessions. People really loved watching it.

rune
Oh, thank you

Is it something I could start just now with him?

I will get to work teaching him to go to a mark! Are there any other commands that he should know before I introduce the ball?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Leave it might be good

Joke!

I'd do the mark with front feet then teach a nose touch to empty hand and transfer to stick notelet on the wall or similar.

Then I'd use a box or similar to teach the mark behind it, then change the mark word and remove the mat ---I use out to mean I want her to get the ball or any other object between me and her. (I am teaching her to push a small trolley with her chest using same commands).

Then I'd use the ball and get him to touch and push---not worry about where he is to start with.

Then combine everything.

However it might change if I was watching him---thats just a bit of an outline mixing what we did with different dogs.

I still can't get a touch from Benj with no teeth so no way is the ball entering the arena!

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks I am going to make a list of all the things to teach him, and go through them all... he will love that, and he is a very quick learner (typical collie ).

Is there are preferred size of ball? Is 55cm too small, or should I go with 65cm?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 02:52 PM
We use both but smaller dogs find it easier with smaller balls----so to speak!

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 03:12 PM
I might try him with a smaller one for now then... I spent 10 minutes teaching him touch earlier, and he caught on unbelievably fast! I am going to do it again in a wee while, and see if he remembers what to do

The biggest problem I have, is how the heck do you use a clicker with two dogs??? Every time I try with Arrow, Jake appears because he knows what the clicker means I have even tried going to the opposite end of the house, but I can hear Jake on the other side of the door!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Mine understand which dog is being worked, they line up the other side of the fence or door and wait their turn.

I use the bathroom a lot!

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Mine understand which dog is being worked, they line up the other side of the fence or door and wait their turn.

I use the bathroom a lot!

rune
I think Jake will need to learn to wait his turn then

What is the best way to teach him to go to a mark? I just watched Kikopup's video on how to teach go to mat, would that work? It looks like it would, but I wasn't sure if he would always need to mat and removing the mat would confuse him?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2012, 04:51 PM
i'd start with a mat or similar---I am using a paper plate wth Fizz, then once they understand the cue from wherever you are standing I change the mark, make it smaller or use a plastic lid or a mat.

Fizz is at the beginning and although sometimes I think he really gets it other times he looses the plot and decides I want him to lie down. It will take a while for him I think.

I used a wooden pebble as a mark for J in the filmong and then just rubbed the ground where I needed him to go. Different things work for different dogs and I was in a hurry!

rune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >