Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Post office insurance

Basically i took Millie on one of the longer walks which we haven't done for a few weeks. We got back home and she started crying and was a little stiff on her rear legs (I'll be honest i burst into tears as she's my childhood dogs and the thought her getting old is horrible).
Seems like arthritis to me (the cold got to her last year to) so i want to see about insurance).
The best i've been able to find (especially with her age and she's had complaints and has bitten before) is the post office. Has anyone had any experience with them?
It seems too good to be true
thanks
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi, it is horrible when our dogs enter their senior years Maybe as Millie is prone to arthritis it would be better to have shorter walks when it's very cold. How old is Millie? I don't know specifically about the Post Office insurance but if it looks too good to be true - it probably is Any conditions she has suffered from in the past possibly won't be covered with a new insurance but you'd just need to check the policy out very carefully. All these insurance groups (whether human, motor or animal) will always try and find some loop-hole not to pay up. I'm with Pet Plan and they do have a good reputation, although I haven't had to make a claim ..... yet!!
Good luck and hopefully someone with a P.O. insurance will come back to you.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi, thanks for replying.
She is 11 in 2 weeks which is why it's hard to find a company as a lot stop insuring at 11. She has also got an aggressive history which rules out pet plan etc.
Post office is only £230 a year for her which is one of the cheapest. She hasn't got any past illnesses apart from gastroenteritis which she got last year so she's healthy considering i've had her 10 years.
I'm going to get my dad to have a look at it as he understands the legal stuff a lot better than me. I did find out that PO is part of Axa and i've heard some people on here insure with them.

I am only taking her on maximum 40 min walks where we can stop half way round. I may try her on that walk again when it warms up but i'm going to see how she does as i don't want to see her crying and not being able to sit down for 30 minutes. I only took her on half of the long walk as the wind was scaring her so we were only gone for an hour.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi, I'm sure Millie will let you know if she doesn't want to walk far - she'll just stop!! A couple of 20 min walks a day would probably be more than enough though. Now she's entering her senior years she will have days when she isn't so good - just like older humans If the PO are offering insurance for that amount I think it sounds pretty good and as you say a lot of companies won't insure older dogs - I'd go for it but perhaps get your Dad to check it over as you say he understands the legal stuff - I'm no good on legal stuff!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I will do, it does seem good and one of the best things: it has 3rd party insurance on it if she decides to taste kneecaps again haha.
She went on a 20 min earlier and came back panting so i think 20 mins may be all she can do at the moment.
Strange how quickly it hits them though. She was fine walking 2 1/2 hours only 7 months ago. I'm sure she'll enjoy more time by the fire though getting more cuddles
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Absolutely, my last dog who I lost at 15 slowed down from about 12-13 years onwards and for the last year and a half she would just go on very short walks where she'd amble along at her pace and then spend hours sleeping. Quite normal when you think had she been human (she was in many ways) she would have been a very old girl. I would never have taken my grandmother out for a 1-2 hour walk!! She (the dog) also went deaf almost over night which again is not unusual!!