Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tanya Ritchie
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:27 PM

Castration

Ihave tow full male doges oneof two years who is the dominant dog in the house. I also now have a 10 month dog. The vet has advised me if I get them both castrated it will stop them fighting for dominnance later on. But my parents advise against it saying the puppy is too young and it will not prevent rivalry anyway. Now I do not know what to do. I do intend to breed and the plot is very secure so neither can get out without me.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 09:32 PM
10 months old is old enough to have a dog castrated in my opinion.

The general rule of thumb is, in a household where one dog is dominant, the lesser dominant of the two is castrated to reinstate the dominant dogs status, which often makes for a more settled environment.

There are pros and cons to neutering, personally I am pro, but others on the forum have different opinions
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 09:41 PM
If you dont have problems now, I cant see the reason for having unessesary operation on healthy dogs. I have entire males here together, and have not had any problems, many others are exactly the same. My opinion is "If it isnt broken, dont fix it"
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 09:58 PM
I have 3 entire males here and 3 entire bitches, their ages range from 3.5 mths to 5.5 years and apart from the odd scrap and grumble they are fine. I wouldn't jump to neutering your dogs until you believe there is a problem and it is actually hormone related.
Becky