Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Couldn't quite believe this one

Took the dogs up to Bramcote Park this evening, and hubby's workmate was there as we were heading back so we went over to have a chat - and some woman was with him, asks us if we've seen two golden retrievers who've gone AWOL in the woods there. We hadn't - but then she continued talking, blew her whistle and said she was surprised that one or the other hadn't responded and started asking who she'd contact for missing dogs around here as she wasn't local to the area and was only up for the marathon at the weekend.

Fine so far - then as the conversation went on, Carl made a comment about how the woods had lots of distracting squirrels and Layton had vanished for the best part of half an hour at one point in there - and she replied that hers had often vanished for anything up to 7 hours at the time. Then my jaw nearly hit the floor when she chirpily commented that she was going to pop back to her brother's for an hour or so and that the dogs would probably be sat by the carpark when she got back as "they always make their way back to where they last saw you you know." Then "oh well I'm here until Sunday so they'll make their way back before then."

We're in two minds about this one - hubby's friend reckons it's invisible dogs if you get the meaning, I reckon it's more just a drip in charge of two canines but seriously - 100 miles from home and she's not bothered one jot - I'd be doing my nut - heck I don't let Layton offlead at the top end of the woods there because of the steep drops worrying me!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Some might end up stolen, or at the local rescue soon then!

I do know what she means about them going to where they last saw you, Diesel does that, but I can't remember loosing him for even half an hour, its mostly five mins I stay where I am, once he's had his fun he comes back, but seven hours, leaving then coming back, WTH, someone needs to learn how to be a responsible owner just a bit!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I was seriously gobsmacked at how blase (don't think I've spelt that right) she was about it - I mean she must have been at least 100 miles from home. Yeah, I'm relaxed about Layton running into the woods there in persuit of a squirrel - but I know the loops he runs in and out onto the path in - heck when we were on Skye he was on-lead the whole time as I just wasn't taking the risk on unfamiliar turf.

Shame the local dog wardens weren't out like they were at lunchtime (they actually pulled me over then to query Nancy's weight - obviously she still looks dreadful but they didn't see the befores on that one!) or they'd have had some interesting words!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Unfortunately the approach you describe is not uncommon.........................
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe the dogs ran off to seek a new, more caring, more sane owner!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I would be absolutely frantic, especially in a strange area.

I have often come across terrier owners sitting looking bored (but not worried) on a tree stump or whatever, who say that they are waiting for Fred/Tom/Wilberforce to come back......sometimes, they say, it can take three hours I may be neurotic, but I just couldn't stand that and Jimmi is never let off his lead when walking because without a doubt he would be off like lightning after rabbits or whatever. This might be fine if there are no roads for miles, but what about those holes? The ones dogs get stuck down.

One golden retriever might be inclined to find it's way back quite quickly, but two may think that it's all a bit of a jape and then get themselves well and truly lost. Whatever, I wish that I have half of this woman's laid back attitude about dogs.......I might have a few less grey hairs!

On reflection: No, I am glad that I care enough to be safe rather than sorry.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Just boggles the mind doesn't it that people can be so careless about their dog's safety! And sadly the only thing that will shake them up is for something to happen to their dog

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
This might be fine if there are no roads for miles, but what about those holes? The ones dogs get stuck down.
This is what I would worry about too, I can never understand people who don't seem to care that their terrier has a tendency to wander! The thought seems to be that they are feisty little dogs so nothing bad will happen. I've known far too many people with terriers who've gone for a wander and ended up down a hole and never come back
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Just boggles the mind doesn't it that people can be so careless about their dog's safety! And sadly the only thing that will shake them up is for something to happen to their dog

This is what I would worry about too, I can never understand people who don't seem to care that their terrier has a tendency to wander! The thought seems to be that they are feisty little dogs so nothing bad will happen. I've known far too many people with terriers who've gone for a wander and ended up down a hole and never come back
Exactly - we are pretty sure that this is what happened to Jimmi in his previous life over in Ireland. When he was found wandering he was painfully thin and his ears were full of earth. He had also lost several front teeth, and given that he tends to use his remaining teeth a lot when digging this might indicate that he was trying to get out of a hole. He was a lucky one if this was the case - there are many who never come out again.

The more I think about this woman with her retrievers, the more astounded I am.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Exactly - we are pretty sure that this is what happened to Jimmi in his previous life over in Ireland. When he was found wandering he was painfully thin and his ears were full of earth. He had also lost several front teeth, and given that he tends to use his remaining teeth a lot when digging this might indicate that he was trying to get out of a hole. He was a lucky one if this was the case - there are many who never come out again.

The more I think about this woman with her retrievers, the more astounded I am.
Poor Jimmi, it definitely sounds like he'd gone for a wander and ended up down a hole! And very lucky he was able to get out, I've had three friends whose dogs have gone exploring and just never returned. Very sad for all involved but they never took that chance again.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Unbelievable, how can you not worry. Lana went missing for 6 minutes once, went running of after a squirrel. I imagined all sorts of things such as her falling over a 100 foot drop , breaking her leg and goodness knows what else.

On the few ocasions we go there now she's kept on the lead at that area. I did stay in the same place but was almost giving up and running down the other end of the park, mostly because of the headless chicken panic syndrome but luckily she came back at that point. Was the longest 6 minutes of my life If she disapeared for 7 hours goodness knows what state I would be in.