View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't see the issue with dependance on the ball but potentially the squeak could cause a problem but just be aware.

I walk a dog that can be reactive but can walk past a stampeding herd of buffalo without reacting if he knows I have chicken in my pocket. I always walk him with chicken in my pocket now.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I don't see the issue with dependance on the ball but potentially the squeak could cause a problem but just be aware.

I walk a dog that can be reactive but can walk past a stampeding herd of buffalo without reacting if he knows I have chicken in my pocket. I always walk him with chicken in my pocket now.
I have a friend who trained her GSP to WT competition standard with Mr Mouse.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Squeaky toys! Bella's first pet shop toy had a squeaker - I surgically removed it and sewed the toy up again!

My daughter in law has now bought her a sort of long sausage shaped sheep dog toy with a squeaker half way down it.

I don't mind her having this one as she needs to work out where to thump it to make it squeak! She never bites it to squeak it - just holds it down on the floor with one little paw and then thumps it REALLY HARD with the other paw just where the squeaker is! Hilarious to watch her concentrating on doing this and she looks so pleased with herself for getting it right!

I've met people out walking whose dogs were totally obsessed with their 'ball'. Barking like a loony every second it wasn't being thrown for them and fixated on it in their owner's hand - I really wouldn't like to have a dog like that. Just glued to the one thing and barking non stop all the time for it to be thrown. Also seen dogs at home like it - constantly just fetching their ball to you to be thrown.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Squeaky toys! Bella's first pet shop toy had a squeaker - I surgically removed it and sewed the toy up again!

My daughter in law has now bought her a sort of long sausage shaped sheep dog toy with a squeaker half way down it.

I don't mind her having this one as she needs to work out where to thump it to make it squeak! She never bites it to squeak it - just holds it down on the floor with one little paw and then thumps it REALLY HARD with the other paw just where the squeaker is! Hilarious to watch her concentrating on doing this and she looks so pleased with herself for getting it right!

I've met people out walking whose dogs were totally obsessed with their 'ball'. Barking like a loony every second it wasn't being thrown for them and fixated on it in their owner's hand - I really wouldn't like to have a dog like that. Just glued to the one thing and barking non stop all the time for it to be thrown. Also seen dogs at home like it - constantly just fetching their ball to you to be thrown.

I wouldn't put up with barking either. When we are at home the toys get put away so he switches off. Simple.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Obviously Cain is not a terrier, but squeaky tennis balls are probably the biggest weapon in my arsenal. The squeaky noise is good at breaking his fixation when staring at dogs/strangers/deer etc and can help bring his attention back to me. I have also found that shoving the ball in his gob appears to be very comforting to him, he likes to chew on the ball (the squeaky tennis balls are quite flexible) and even if it's a ball where the squeaker has broken, he will walk far more nicely past another dog if he has a ball to chew on. Also, on the rare occasion he is off lead, the squeaky tennis ball is THE highest reward for Cain, trumps treats every time.

My only regret is that Cain point blank refuses to play with balls on ropes I would really love to be able to use a ball on a rope to control him and keep him close when necessary, but Cain has other ideas! And when I throw the ball, unless I have a second identical ball, his retrieve can be shaky and I've just thrown away my power and Cain's running around with it in his mouth

I think use whatever works for that dog. If you find the squeaky toy is causing problems/over excitement/possessiveness etc then stop using it. But I don't think that just because a dog is aggressive or a terrier means squeaky toys are unsuitable. I believe it's as simple as using whatever the dog finds rewarding
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:43 PM
I found it very useful to get Jake 'into' balls for recall training. It worked great. He isn't fixated on a ball though, although when he is in the mood he will pester me for the ball. I always make sure though, that some walks we go out and throw the ball but others I won't bring the ball out at all. I find that helps so he doesn't become reliant on it, or constantly expect it. If he is in a ball mood, and it isn't a good time for the ball, then he is told to stop, which he does.

I know some dogs who just will not do anything else but want the ball, and in some circumstances the ball isn't practical so it makes things difficult for the owner.

It is something I want to watch with Arrow, and make sure he doesn't become to fixated on a ball.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Obviously Cain is not a terrier, but squeaky tennis balls are probably the biggest weapon in my arsenal. The squeaky noise is good at breaking his fixation when staring at dogs/strangers/deer etc and can help bring his attention back to me. I have also found that shoving the ball in his gob appears to be very comforting to him, he likes to chew on the ball (the squeaky tennis balls are quite flexible) and even if it's a ball where the squeaker has broken, he will walk far more nicely past another dog if he has a ball to chew on. Also, on the rare occasion he is off lead, the squeaky tennis ball is THE highest reward for Cain, trumps treats every time.

My only regret is that Cain point blank refuses to play with balls on ropes I would really love to be able to use a ball on a rope to control him and keep him close when necessary, but Cain has other ideas! And when I throw the ball, unless I have a second identical ball, his retrieve can be shaky and I've just thrown away my power and Cain's running around with it in his mouth

I think use whatever works for that dog. If you find the squeaky toy is causing problems/over excitement/possessiveness etc then stop using it. But I don't think that just because a dog is aggressive or a terrier means squeaky toys are unsuitable. I believe it's as simple as using whatever the dog finds rewarding

I cured this problem when Ollie was younger by having a ball that I throw (a tennis ball) and a better ball/toy that squeaks that I keep for emergencies. If you occasionally need to let him have it as a reward, clip his flexi lead on so he can't get away and run off with it.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I found it very useful to get Jake 'into' balls for recall training. It worked great. He isn't fixated on a ball though, although when he is in the mood he will pester me for the ball. I always make sure though, that some walks we go out and throw the ball but others I won't bring the ball out at all. I find that helps so he doesn't become reliant on it, or constantly expect it. If he is in a ball mood, and it isn't a good time for the ball, then he is told to stop, which he does.

I know some dogs who just will not do anything else but want the ball, and in some circumstances the ball isn't practical so it makes things difficult for the owner.

It is something I want to watch with Arrow, and make sure he doesn't become to fixated on a ball.

I always try to ensure I have a ball, which may not even come out on the walk, or I might just throw it to him to catch once when he first gets out of the car. But he knows it's in my pocket and that is enough. Even if I forgot the ball I could pick up an empty plastic bottle which would have exactly the same effect.

maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

The trick is to train them to do anything in order to get the ball. This makes it very, very easy for the owner.

I watched a 12 month old working Malinois, trainee police dog doing some sleeve work. She was being called off and each time she did it, it was because she wanted the rubber ring that the handler had in her pocket. Once she had the ring she was bouncing around throwing it in the air with glee.

If you have seen drugs dogs being trained on TV you will see that everything they do is to get their ball.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Yes - what is it about dogs and empty plastic bottles? The streets are littered with them here - almost everyone buying bottles of water and most Cypriots being litterbugs.

Dogs seem to just love them. Bella does too which surprises me because of the loud cracking noise they make when bitten into.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >