Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Opinions please

Hi all

As some of you will know Amy has some allergies but as time has passed I also believe there is a link to her seasons too, a hormonal thing, so far she has cycled every 3 months and with each season the itching and scratching seems to be improving.

So, I am now wondering if it would be better to hold off on spaying her until she is older.......I was thinking about 2 years old, when a Shar Pei is considered fully mature.

Obviously getting her spayed asap would be convenient for all concerned but i'm not sure it would benefit Amy health wise, I would be quite happy to "cope" with her seasons if that is the right way to go.

What do you lovely peeps think???
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Really have no idea if prolonging the spaying will help but may be worth talking to your vet?!

I know that hormones can make a big difference to itchy skin cos my friend has a week of hell (torturous itchy and flaky skin) just before her period and then is fine...tho she is a human!!

XX
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Personally I dont think the seasons will have any effect on an allergy, but perhaps the colder weather might? Could that be why she is improving? Id have her spayed personally, must be uncomfortable for her in season so often, thats not normal in itself, and it would be better for Diesel of course. (and you)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Personally I dont think the seasons will have any effect on an allergy, but perhaps the colder weather might? Could that be why she is improving? Id have her spayed personally, must be uncomfortable for her in season so often, thats not normal in itself, and it would be better for Diesel of course. (and you)
i agree,but i also believe hormones can have a part to play with skin problems.