Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2006, 11:28 PM

S. A. S

SIMPLICITY AIDS SUCCESS

Keeping it simple has been the key so far in my efforts to train Jake and Charlie. Jake being that little bit older is obviously that bit more advanced but both are doing very well. Food rewards and praise are given for early successes with the food weaned off after each behaviour is mastered. A clear sharp "NO" is used to correct bad behaviour.

So far Jake has learned all the basic stuff. He was very quick in learning to toilet outside and also very good with all the other basic stuff... Sit, stay, come etc. He is great on or off the lead at walking to heel when asked to do so and also has a few little fun tricks too. He not only gives a paw to ask for something but also gives a little bark when asked to say please. He will roll over on his back and play dead when given the command "bang bang" and he has at last mastered the fact that it's best to bring the ball back when I throw it He also has learned to love the water but credit for that goes to all his doggy mates at the beach rather than anything I done. I simply left him to go in his own time. I feel he has came on even further since Charlie arrived, almost as if he has taken some kind of big brother responsibility.

Charlie is probably the less bright of the two but never the less he too is coming on well. He has almost mastered the toilet training and will sit and give a paw. His recall is fantastic but again thats not all down to me because the breeder already had him coming to a whistle. He has been getting better at retrieving a ball and is also just about there with the "bang bang" game. He is not so good at stay, he seems to get a little excited and can't wait to follow and he's not as good at walking on the lead as Jake is but all that will come in time.

I thought having the two pups together would be much harder than it is but infact I'd say it's not much diffrent. They get on great together and provided their sessions are kept short and fun they seem to be progressing well together.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Glad they are doing well Ian - I shall look forward to seeing how they progress. (And good job I read your blog as I didn't even know you got yourself another dog!)
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 06:59 AM
They are a credit to your patience Ian. Well done to you all
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Well Done Ian, you took Charlie on while Jake was still progressing with his training and that can be hard work. It looks like you have mastered this well with them both and I bet Charlie will catch up with Jake in no time at all.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Well done Ian with the boys - I always tell people when they bulk at 5 dogs - you have one dog a few more makes no difference! Charlie will soon catch on! And it can be tough trying to have one on one time with them but so rewarding when you do it!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Well done I don't know how you cope with two puppies.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2006, 02:43 PM
You are doing a wonderful job Ian - wow - I've hardly started with Oscar when I read what you have done - and with 2!!! go'n yersel' son!