Our sister sites
Our sister sites
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2005, 05:09 PM

Im SO Angry

I don`t know if this should be in this section but here goes,
Boxer Welfare Scotland had arranged a new home for a boxer who`s owner ask us to do, we spent a lot of time & effort doing so, everything was arranged for this morning, the woman who offered to pick up this boxer & take him to his new home went to the address met the lady who was giving him up(she was devastated at having to do so) .

The woman picking up the dog decided she knew what was best for this boxer and proceeded to tell the woman she could get someone in to walk her dog instead of giving him up, that we were unprofessional because we were rehoming to a flat, that we did`nt consider what was best for her & we were only interested in money!! She then phoned the person getting the dog and proceeded to tell her She was irresponsible and that she would never get a dog from her,
As a result this dog is now destined to sleep in a shed, be on his own for most of the day, now i know we have to take responsibilty for asking her to collect the dog but as she has kennels of her own we believed she knew what she was doing and would act professionally on our behalf but I am so angry this woman did`nt know the background to this rescue and now this little boxer is going to suffer.

Just would like your opinions on this please

Obviously we won`t be making the same mistake again-Lesson learnt.

yvonne
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Sounds like its the poor dog who is going to suffer....its a shame all your hard work has gone to waste
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
the woman that was to give up her dog had been speaking to more than one member of boxer welfare and had decided that as she was moving out of her house and had nowhere to go for 2 weeks and then returning to full time work that the best thing to do was to let the dog go to a family she was very upset but knew she was doing the right thing the woman that went for the dog phoned while she was in the house to the new family and told them that they did not have a bond with the dog and were stupid to let the kids know the dog was coming how professional was that as you can appreciate we now have a very upset family and a dog that will now have to stay in circumstances that are not fair to a 1yr old dog all I can say is a BIG thank you to *person X* from dundee for the upset that has happened to not one family but undoubtably 2 please if ANY one needs a volunteer this is not the one I really thought that as she knew dogs the dog would be the main concern I know that the woman will come back to us or someone else 2-3wks down the line and it could have been so unneccesary
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
I had been to see this dog, he's only a year old and a handsom chap.
I also did the home check. The people had thought long and hard about it. Had a wonderfull loving family and would have given this dog a fantasic life. I took both my dogs with me!
Ok so they lived in a flat. So what, there were plenty of places they had in mind for this dog to run free. His first walk would have been at 6am when the son finished work. Then he would have had the option of going into the bedroom with the son to sleep or go to his bed. The lady of the house worked three days a week, but was home at lunchtime on these days, the "partner" (this person that was to pick up the dog never re homes to people that arn't married ) worked most days from home, he was also going to take the dog with him when he did his rounds locally in the car. He was never going to be left on his own.
Now this family are totally devestated, they really wanted a boxer and have been left angry by this persons total lack of careing and unprofesionalism
The daughter was breaking her heart and this woman had the ordasity to tell the lady she was a bad mother to tell her family in the first place they were getting the dog!!! Who died and made her GOD?
Then she went on to say she NEVER rehomes to people in flats, NEVER to people that are not married, NEVER to people that live in the town and NEVER to people that dont have cars.
I think that would rule out more than half the population.
As for the Lady that was giving up her dog. Well, both Lorraine and myself have been on the phone for hours with her crying and telling us her life story. The best of it is she will be homless on the 14th for two weeks!
She has another dog who she was not giving up.... To me that speek volumes
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Also, I do home checks, move dogs, and foster them NOT for money but for the love I have for Boxers.
I have had Boxers in my life for 43 years and know the breed well. I dont profess to know it ALL as I dont think anyone does.
Each dog is an individual as people are.
I do not take kindly to the acusation that we are "in it for the money"
If you want to put it that way who pays for the wear and tear on my car? I DO. How can you put a price on the first lick a frightened dog gives you?
I'm going to get off my soap box just now, but mrs know it all who really knows nothing, I would advise you to keep your mouth tightly shut in future in matters you really know nothing about
CBT
Dogsey Senior

05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Is *person X* a member on here?
Can we hear her side of the story?
Im only asking because if she is a volunteer for your rescue then surely you should be taking it up with her instead of slating her on a public forum?

If the woman who handed the dog over to your rescue signed papers then surely the dog legally belongs to the scottish boxer rescue? I dont know that much about it, but If I was going to run a rescue I would have my own kennels and people would bring the dogs to me, and sign them over, and then I would rehome them, that way theres no 3rd parties involved, you can use your own judgement, and things like this wont happen, just an idea, but I realise its probably not practical since not everyone has kennels, but if you own your own property, putting a few temporary kennels and runs up might be a good idea, that way you can take the dogs in and assess them if they have nowhere else to go?
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2005, 07:21 PM
That's why we have foster homes. We do not have kennels and to be perfectly honest boxers do not in general do well in them. They go stir crazy
CBT
Dogsey Senior

05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
so let me check to see if I have got this right cos im not sure if I understand?

*person X* is a volunteer for boxer welfare?
she was supposed to pick up a boxer and take it to a foster home but didnt?
She decided that boxer welfare was not a suitable rescue and thats why she didnt hand the dog over?

Am I right so far?

So assuming the above are correct, where is the dog now then? Does jess still have the dog? if not who does have the dog?
Im confused? :smt017 is this the same dog that I enquired about from bothwell and I was told she had been homed?

PS the main reason I suggested kennels is so that you can keep dogs isolated which come in from off the streets or from unknown background incase they have KC and you dont want them passing it on to your other dogs, or any other conditions they might have, it pays to be cautious if your dealing with dogs which you dont know their background
finnigan31
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2005, 07:53 PM
CBT the dog is still with the woman who wanted us to rehome him,
this dog is male so it is`nt the same one you think it is
This woman is not one of our team but offered to pick up & deliver on our behalf, she did`nt know any of the background of this rescue.
We have tried to take it up with her all day but she is`nt answering her phone.

This person had no right to do what she did and now this little boxer is paying the consquences, sleeping in a shed, being on his own most of the day.

yvonne
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Were you intending to tranfer him directly from one home to another? No period with your organization to assess his temperament, health, & suitability for the home that you had in mind for him? Surely some sort of assessment, and an opportunity to meet prospective new owners prior to placement would be the correct procedure?

I hope the boy finds a good home if he cannot stay with his current family.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get your volunteer's side of the story
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >