Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:03 PM

New here, Spayed Bitch Milking, Please Help

Hi all,
Thankyou so much for reading.

My bitch was spayed around 3 weeks ago and in the meantime I have got a new puppy which is a nightmare for trying to suckle off her.

She is now producing milk, is this normal ?
I didn't realise they could still produce milk after being spayed, would this harm her in anyway ?, I am guessing its because she was only done around 3 weeks ago, am I right in thinking this ?.

I thought to come here first without contacting my vet as I am sure he is sick of seeing me, I tend to be a little over-protective of my dogs and take them up with the slightest complaint but my partner is telling me not to worry but I am.

A very concerned owner
Sarah
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:08 PM
awe sorry I have not got any real advice for you, sure someone will be able to help soon though, hope it goes well, x shona x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2007, 11:32 PM
She#s obviously got the mothering instinct. Once you wean the new puppy away from her I'm sure she'll stop. A cloth tied around her to stop the puppy getting at her teats might help. I don't know the answer about the difference spaying makes I'm afraid. Have had bitches produce milkfor others' puppies & even for kittens but they have been entire.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the help, will try a cloth
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:27 PM
just posting to bring this back up, mabey someone on line at the moment can help with some more advice
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Can I ask when/why you had your bitch speyed? Was it after her 1st season and was she having any false pregnancies before this? I ask because a bitch could not usually come into milk after being speyed but it may be that as she was speyed only 3 weeks ago that she was already experiencing a false pregnancy. I would imagine that it should dry up pretty readily as her hormones settle down. It would be a good idea to stop the puppy from trying to suckle though because not only will it stimulate her to make more milk but it may encourage contractions even though her womb and ovaries have been removed, and her wounds (internally too) need time to heal from the surgery. If you're at all concerned ring your vet for advice.