Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Davidkm7
New Member!
Male 

01-02-2018, 07:25 PM

New dog, timid and recently spayed

We adopted a 2 year old female Mini Aussie mix on Sunday. She came home with us for the first time last night after getting spayed and receiving her Rabies vaccine. She is a stray and was moved from one adoption agency from another in order to socialize her with other dogs. She is super timid and hid inside the closet for a while. We gave her some water, but she threw up twice. I moved her into our spare bathroom with her bed and some potty pads, which helped her calm down. I sat next to her for a while and she seems to be warming up to me. I’ve tried to minimize stimulation and provide small amounts of food and water. My concern is that she hasn’t gone to the restroom since coming home. I know she’s likely dehydrated and has a reduced appetite and threw up some yesterday. I think she’d be more comfortable going outside to go potty, but she is still weak and not trusting us enough to use a leash. I’m more than willing to clean up after her for the next while until she trusts us more and feels well enough to go outside. Are potty pads the best option, or do you have any other recommendations? Thanks for the help!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Davidkm7 View Post
We adopted a 2 year old female Mini Aussie mix on Sunday. She came home with us for the first time last night after getting spayed and receiving her Rabies vaccine. She is a stray and was moved from one adoption agency from another in order to socialize her with other dogs. She is super timid and hid inside the closet for a while. We gave her some water, but she threw up twice. I moved her into our spare bathroom with her bed and some potty pads, which helped her calm down. I sat next to her for a while and she seems to be warming up to me. I’ve tried to minimize stimulation and provide small amounts of food and water. My concern is that she hasn’t gone to the restroom since coming home. I know she’s likely dehydrated and has a reduced appetite and threw up some yesterday. I think she’d be more comfortable going outside to go potty, but she is still weak and not trusting us enough to use a leash. I’m more than willing to clean up after her for the next while until she trusts us more and feels well enough to go outside. Are potty pads the best option, or do you have any other recommendations? Thanks for the help!
Fairly major, even traumatic, changes. In one day.
Time is a great healer.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2018, 08:40 PM
I agree. Give her some time and patience.

It's not unusual for a dog to hold on for the toilet if they are worried and it sounds as though your girl is very worried at the moment about the changes she has faced.

I take it that your garden isn't secure?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2018, 08:34 PM
Don't keep watching her they sense you being worried. She will go eventually. When she does don't make a fuss of any kind. Just clear it up and act as though nothing has happened. Just give her time and lots of patience. Try not to overwhelm her with everything.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Don't keep watching her they sense you being worried. She will go eventually. When she does don't make a fuss of any kind. Just clear it up and act as though nothing has happened. Just give her time and lots of patience. Try not to overwhelm her with everything.
Good advice as always.
All new and in such a short space of time. And not all dogs are the same. I think ours took a few weeks. Now, three years in, he is the lord of the manor.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-02-2018, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Brenda
I know I don't always agree with you and others but isn't that what discussion is about?

But I think you are spot on here. Time. But the OP seems to have done a runner. That kinda irks me. Seek advice, get it, and show no gratitude.

Life strolls on. I have a lovely, big, gentle dog.

A little tail from today. We went to the local store. Lovely Liz, a near neighbour strolled with me.I normally tie Max to the bicycle rail but Liz offered to/wanted to hold him while she chatted to a friend.. He was fine with that. In his comfort zone. Flopped down and just waited for daddy. He is just Max. Wonderful Max.