Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2005, 04:43 PM

grass

when my mum had her extension done, the builders ruined half of her garden, leaving it as patted down mud mixed with concrete me thinks!
Anyway, i wanna put some grass down.
Firsty, how deep do i have to dig to put grass in? at the moment im jus kinda liftin the soil which i guess is half an inch. And also, if i put it down this week, will it grow in time for this yr?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 04:53 PM
You basically want to turn over the earth with a fork (or rotovator), put some fertilizer on, fork it again, then rake it flat, sow the seed on top, lightly rake it and walk all over it to flatten it.

IMO it's probably not worth doing it until the Autumn though. Unless you can water it daily.

Graeme
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Lawn grasses need a minimum of 6" of soil depth for it to grow properly,so you will need to remove any concrete/rubble first.

As Graeme said-autumn is the ideal time to sow a lawn because its still warm enough for the seeds to germinate and the likelyhood of rain makes it easier to look after.

You can sow in summer,but will need to water it everyday for a month.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2005, 02:46 PM
you could always rotavate then turf