Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
williamsmum
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2010, 04:14 PM

Returning a rescue dog

I have today had to return my beloved little rescue dog to the kennels he came from. I was overcoming all his faults and he was settling well, but he had separation anxiety and I couldn't leave him without him barking constantly while I was out. I would have been happy to put up with this and work on it with all the tried and tested methods, but the neighbour came round today and said they had all had enough and would not put up with it any longer.

Believe me, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do and I haven't stopped crying all day. All I can see is his little face as I left him in the kennel. I just want to fetch him back but it's out of the question. It's breaking my heart. I know I shall take a very long time to get over this. I have another dog, but that's no consolation. Has anyone else been through this or am I the most awful person imaginable and don't deserve to have a dog or deserve to be a member of this website.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Its a difficult one and one reason that many rescues won't rehome to people who work because many rescue dogs do need more time to settle in.

I wouldn't say you were a bad person but it is very sad that you weren't able to work something out to keep your neighbours happy until you could resolve his seperation anxiety.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I really feel for you I do!! I've got a rescue and I worry about my neighbours constantly as one of them complained to the council not long after I had him (long story won't bore you with the dets), is there not anyway you could keep him? I know they are expensive but what about dog walkers? I think the ones on gumtree are quite reasonable? I realise your heart is breaking at the moment so I dont want to make you feel worse!!

(((hugs)))
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Its a tough one but better to return him than wait until the council start forcing you then hopefully they'll be able to find him a home where he wont have to be left. I know how guilty you feel. Many years ago my family adopted a lab that we had to return due to serious aggression problems. Even though he'd bitten us all, we still felt terrible returning him. Nearly 20 years later I still wonder what happened to him.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Its a tough one but better to return him than wait until the council start forcing you then hopefully they'll be able to find him a home where he wont have to be left. I know how guilty you feel. Many years ago my family adopted a lab that we had to return due to serious aggression problems. Even though he'd bitten us all, we still felt terrible returning him. Nearly 20 years later I still wonder what happened to him.
Hi Tilly, sorry for any confusion, but everything is fine now, (I am a worrier)it was just one malicious neighbour, who actually lied to council so everything is fine now, but it did really scare me, but to be honest, I would go homeless rather than lose my Eddie
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2010, 08:10 PM
hi

I think that I would have tried to work something out with the neighbour tbh, every dog has a settling in period. and unless your neighbour is really unreasonable I cant see what they would have done about it ??

How long did you have the dog ?
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Hi, I'm really sorry you had to return your dog I too have a rescue dog called Joe, when we had him part time (long story) he was an angel and I actually asked the rescue centre if he could bark! LOL! Well, when he came full time, he came right out of his shell! He also suffered S.A and barked, ripped up my carpet, ripped down and ate my blind and ate the door frame I also went round to the neightbours to tell them about Joe and to bare with me! We rang the centre for advice and they gave us tips to do. We did this and Joe got much better, a year on he actually seems to enjoy his 'alone' time

I hope your dog gets a new home
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 07:10 AM
What a shame the OP didn`t join when she was having problems or when she got the dog.
If anyone else is in this position there is a lot you can do, as can be seen from some posts above.
No dog (not even a hugely expensive well bred puppy) will be trouble-free at first.
I do hope the little dog can be rehomed.
williamsmum
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Thank you everybody for your replies and the gentle chastisement, as well as the support of those who have been there before. The situation isn't as straightforward as it seems. I only work part time - 3 shifts a week. I have an elderly disabled husband and another dog (we have always had 2 or 3 dogs at a time). I thought that with my husband being there all day, and the other dog, that he would settle. Unfortunately my husband needs to go for a sleep for about 3 hours or more while I'm out and that is when the dog was at his noisiest. We had him for 6 weeks and he became much more confident, started to bark and was learning very very quickly. He was very destructive, though, and my husband was unable to stop him when I wasn't there and if he put him in his crate he would bark non-stop. The neighbour, who is a very difficult person at the best of times, was the last straw. Most of our dogs have been rescue and they have all been fine and have been with us for years. My main mistake was in believing that the dog would be a companion for my husband and curl up on his lap - didn't work out. I know how to deal with separation anxiety but it would have taken time and the neighbour is not a 'negotiable' type of person. Believe me, I am beating myself up about this and I shall be suffering for a long time. I shall ring the kennels regularly to check whether he has been re-homed. He is such a cute little dog that he will be snapped up very quickly I'm sure.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Dont be too harsh on yourself.

Sounds like a bit of a mis match to me, which is unfortunate for the dog but the rescue centre maybe should have been more selctive with the tye of dog they gave you in your situation. Fingers crossed the dog doesnt have to wait too long x

p.s hope you stick around dogsey...maybe get some help on where to find the right one
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >