Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2017, 12:51 PM

Please help me :(

Hello everyone I skip the introductory form only because I'm in dire need of help. I am a huge dog fan of all breeds actually work at a boarding and grooming kennel and we have daycare as well so I am around all breeds of dogs and I'm certainly in love with this job. I even bring my dogs to work with me. This thread is going to be about my five-year-old miniature Dachshund, Forrest, Who turned five in June of this year. He is the role model of all dogs and has been considered a therapy dog, but I am not bragging on him because he has his faults just like anyone does (like jumping on people). He is house trained, he knows simple commands as in come here, sit, lay down, easy, no bite, no, and go to the bathroom. I am a former pre-K teacher and brought Forrest to work with me the day after I got him so he has been exposed to infants as young as eight months and children of all ages. He loves children and he loves people in general. You could say Forrest has never met a stranger. He has never showed any signs of aggression to other dogs and has even let dogs snap at him without returning aggression. We use him as a dog we introduce insecure dogs to at the dog park or at day care. Recently we had a Doberman who was abandoned at the kennel and we had no idea if he was friendly or not with small dogs so we used my dog and it was fine, he got along great with him. There were no aggression issues and the Doberman played very well with him under supervision. Everyone knows Forrest and he is well known as very friendly and loving and lots of personality. Everyone knows as well he is my "child" and this has particularly ruined him because he is very spoiled. Me and my boyfriend recently decided to get a new puppy who happened to be another Dachshund. We also moved so now were in a new area with the new puppy, but he loves the puppy he tolerates her biting but also give her warning signs as when he's had enough. He shares his food bowl with her his toys and my lap. Forrest used to have a brother so he is not a stranger to new dogs in his house. I have also recently become pregnant and I am 18 weeks as of today. I knew that this may cause a little bit of personality changes or weird behavior but I did not expect what was going to happen. Forrest has completely changed around my boyfriend who he loves dearly. He has bitten him and growled at him and acts like my boyfriend is hurting him when picked up or even petting him. I've talk to the vet and the vet seems to think it's just because I'm pregnant and he's being very protective of me but I don't like this behavior. But I'm also very passive to the way he is corrected and that is my fault. I know there are some of you out there that don't like anyone correcting their dog or yelling at their dog and it's not about correcting my dog but it's the tone of my boyfriends voice that I do not like when he goes to correct him. I am sure it does not hurt Forrest's feelings but it certainly hurts mine to hear it. The odd thing is is when I am not home Forrest loves my boyfriend, he is all over him. I am quite sure of this is because I am not around and my energy does not affect my dog. But it breaks my heart to know that Forrest is now biting and growling at someone he loves because of me and I need help because I don't know what to do. He has never been aggressive and I don't want him to start and I don't want him to be aggressive towards the baby. I have been including him and all sorts of things when it comes to the baby as an introducing him to the baby stuff and getting his scent on things and I feel sure he will be OK with a baby as he has done in the past. But I want to fix this problem before it gets any worse because Forrest is my first child and he is acting out and I don't want it to cause any more problems than what it's caused. Please if you could help me I would so much appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5798  
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2017, 02:28 AM
I think because your pregnant that you should find a trainer to help fix this
before it gets worse,
Trainers can often see more easily what is going wrong,
All the best.
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2017, 05:54 PM
Thank you for the response! I spoke with a trainer and it's a jealousy and possession issue.
COBAR5
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-12-2017, 02:21 AM
will you continue with a trainer or only have a few lessons,

I was looking at getting a private trainer, but at $100 an hour
could not afford it, so we go to a local community park trainer.

All the best
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Dachshundmom89 View Post
Hello everyone I skip the introductory form only because I'm in dire need of help. I am a huge dog fan of all breeds actually work at a boarding and grooming kennel and we have daycare as well so I am around all breeds of dogs and I'm certainly in love with this job. I even bring my dogs to work with me. This thread is going to be about my five-year-old miniature Dachshund, Forrest, Who turned five in June of this year. He is the role model of all dogs and has been considered a therapy dog, but I am not bragging on him because he has his faults just like anyone does (like jumping on people). He is house trained, he knows simple commands as in come here, sit, lay down, easy, no bite, no, and go to the bathroom. I am a former pre-K teacher and brought Forrest to work with me the day after I got him so he has been exposed to infants as young as eight months and children of all ages. He loves children and he loves people in general. You could say Forrest has never met a stranger. He has never showed any signs of aggression to other dogs and has even let dogs snap at him without returning aggression. We use him as a dog we introduce insecure dogs to at the dog park or at day care. Recently we had a Doberman who was abandoned at the kennel and we had no idea if he was friendly or not with small dogs so we used my dog and it was fine, he got along great with him. There were no aggression issues and the Doberman played very well with him under supervision. Everyone knows Forrest and he is well known as very friendly and loving and lots of personality. Everyone knows as well he is my "child" and this has particularly ruined him because he is very spoiled. Me and my boyfriend recently decided to get a new puppy who happened to be another Dachshund. We also moved so now were in a new area with the new puppy, but he loves the puppy he tolerates her biting but also give her warning signs as when he's had enough. He shares his food bowl with her his toys and my lap. Forrest used to have a brother so he is not a stranger to new dogs in his house. I have also recently become pregnant and I am 18 weeks as of today. I knew that this may cause a little bit of personality changes or weird behavior but I did not expect what was going to happen. Forrest has completely changed around my boyfriend who he loves dearly. He has bitten him and growled at him and acts like my boyfriend is hurting him when picked up or even petting him. I've talk to the vet and the vet seems to think it's just because I'm pregnant and he's being very protective of me but I don't like this behavior. But I'm also very passive to the way he is corrected and that is my fault. I know there are some of you out there that don't like anyone correcting their dog or yelling at their dog and it's not about correcting my dog but it's the tone of my boyfriends voice that I do not like when he goes to correct him. I am sure it does not hurt Forrest's feelings but it certainly hurts mine to hear it. The odd thing is is when I am not home Forrest loves my boyfriend, he is all over him. I am quite sure of this is because I am not around and my energy does not affect my dog. But it breaks my heart to know that Forrest is now biting and growling at someone he loves because of me and I need help because I don't know what to do. He has never been aggressive and I don't want him to start and I don't want him to be aggressive towards the baby. I have been including him and all sorts of things when it comes to the baby as an introducing him to the baby stuff and getting his scent on things and I feel sure he will be OK with a baby as he has done in the past. But I want to fix this problem before it gets any worse because Forrest is my first child and he is acting out and I don't want it to cause any more problems than what it's caused. Please if you could help me I would so much appreciate it.
When I see a wall of text like that...........paragraph breaks, page breaks,?
Dachshundmom89
New Member!
Female 

13-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Besoeker, I was on my phone..? If you're not coming in here to help please be kind and don't reply. I am not intentionally being rude but come on...

COBAR5, we have had 2 lessons so far.. at $85 a lesson. We will progress less as progress is made. He has shown some improvement but not enough to deter lessons. Thank you so much for your encouragement!