Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
There was a bloke in Wales you was fined £2,000 - as far as I am aware, the poor dog was not punished. How could that be fair!
No the dog was not punished. I meant how did you hear that you are not liable under law if you don't have the remote in your pocket?

I am not sure, but I think you are liable if your dog has a shock collar on, full stop.;

The dog in Wales had a collar on for electric fences. No need for a remote, but nevertheless the owner was prosecuted.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Of course it's fair, it's the owner that should be punished, as you would if yup used your device in Wales
It's not fair to punish the poor dog though!! By euthanising him - how can that be fair!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
No the dog was not punished. I meant how did you hear that you are not liable under law if you don't have the remote in your pocket?

I am not sure, but I think you are liable if your dog has a shock collar on, full stop.;

The dog in Wales had a collar on for electric fences. No need for a remote, but nevertheless the owner was prosecuted.
Well that is why the law is an ass then because the e collar cannot work if you do not have the remote in your pocket - ipso facto, you are not breaking the law.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
This thread is bringing up more questions than answers I am now wondering should anyone have a dog they cannot hold on a lead ? That seems incredibly dangerous whether the dog is friendly or not. Certainly not something I would consider doing.
I agree, if you can't hold a dog you shouldn't have it. I have 4 dogs now, I used to have 6 and could hold all of them, now I couldn't hold the 4 I have so always exercise them separately apart from the 2 smaller ones.

At one time I could handle 10 horses at once, getting old is not nice.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Well that is why the law is an ass then because the e collar cannot work if you do not have the remote in your pocket - ipso facto, you are not breaking the law.

Not sure I get your point....
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:32 PM
It's not fair to punish the poor dog though!! By euthanising him - how can that be fair!!
But you said in this case the owner was fined? Was the dog euthanised?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
That's a ridiculous thing to say! ALL Malamutes are much stronger than even the strongest man - are you saying that no-one should have a malamute?

OH has solved the problem by buying this harness contraption designed for joggers to run 2 dogs off from it. The dogs could pull him over but they would have to drag him along and with such a load behind them would not be able to get up any speed.
They can do a lot of damage to your OH while being dragged and may even kill him.

I have a friend in the USA who has the same mixed breeds that you have apart from the wolf, these dogs were originally trained with harsh methods by their previous owner, when she took them on she started using positive training and they are changed dogs. At first they didn't have any recall, now they both have a good recall. She uses a scooter a lot when exercising them one at a time for safety.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I agree, if you can't hold a dog you shouldn't have it. I have 4 dogs now, I used to have 6 and could hold all of them, now I couldn't hold the 4 I have so always exercise them separately apart from the 2 smaller ones.

At one time I could handle 10 horses at once, getting old is not nice.
Must say we have down sized too as we are both aging, wouldn't fancy having Mollie as a puppy now as we could not hold her but 12 years ago she was a breeze. Still it means we can still have a dog just a far smaller one and she has her own challenges as I have never seen such a quick dog before in my life !
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
They can do a lot of damage to your OH while being dragged and may even kill him.

I have a friend in the USA who has the same mixed breeds that you have apart from the wolf, these dogs were originally trained with harsh methods by their previous owner, when she took them on she started using positive training and they are changed dogs. At first they didn't have any recall, now they both have a good recall. She uses a scooter a lot when exercising them one at a time for safety.
Wolf? Surely not
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I cannot believe I have just read this.

So you are telling me that with a wolf cross like Ben - a dog who has either been abused, or people have been frightened of him and let him do what he wants - you are saying that with reward training, or clicker training for instance you would only EVER have to give ONE treat to train a perfect recall, or use a rattle bottle or a clicker just ONCE to train a perfect recall?
Rattle bottles are an aversion and how no place in positive training, also using a clicker to recall a dog won't work, a clicker is to tell the dog he has done what you asked him to and not a command. Once again you are showing your lack of knowledge.

Ben NOW has a perfect recall. Between that first perfect recall, when he was zapped once, and he came straight to us, he has had one or two mishaps - one which involved a deer. He and Tai were well on the hunt, and both dogs ignored the "Come". It was repeated, and Tai stopped and came back, but Ben didn't so he had to have a zap. he stopped instantly and came back. I do not call that a fail.

Clearly YOU know nothing about dogs or dog training
No it is YOU who knows nothing about dogs or dog training.
Page 29 of 44 « First < 19 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 39 > Last »