Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
But this is not why we used the e collar to train Ben!!

We used the e collar to train a RECALL - absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he is DA. We are now starting to work on that - without using the e collar, for the very reasons you mention here. They simply do not work to cure a dog of DA.
I don't doubt you did use the collar to teach him a recall.

Funnily enough, while you have that opinion, that it doesn't cure dogs of DA. Lou Castle thinks otherwise. He was very adamant towards me that it would work on ANY dog regardless of their personality and recommended I use one on my DA dog.

We all know that personality plays a big part into training a dog, and a good trainer should be able to base their training around the dogs needs. Unfortunately Lou Castle laughed me out of the forum when I raised that issue with him, that some dogs are more sensitive and wouldn't do well with using the e-collar etc.

*Sigh*
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
the long line that you mentioned I should use
It is others who have told you to use a long line not me, please get your facts right before accusing people.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
No of course not. The dog would not be punished, it is the owners that are fined!!

But only if the owners were carrying the controller.
I'm not sure that's right, Gnasher. Where did you hear that from?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Another lack of understanding, the only way you can teach an aggressive dog not to be aggressive is to keep them calm, when they are kicking off their brain has shut down apart from the part involved with the kicking off. No matter what you do then it won't get into his brain and he won't learn anything apart from kicking off works.

I have been like that all my life, doesn't mean I can understand a dog and how they tick, it just means that dogs don't see me as a threat.

Why should we listen to you when you keep telling us that you are not listening to us. The way you have attacked things that were supposed to be in my posts that weren't there shows just how little you read our posts.
Sorry, but I totally disagree. Yes, I agree that the way to teach a dog not to be aggressive is to keep them calm - but it is not true to say that once they have kicked off, you cannot calm them down!! I have done this with Ben and Tai so many times when a dog has barked at them in the pub, or indeed they have started a barking session. Unless my 2 are different from all other dogs, then I very much beg to differ!!

Sorry if I come across as aggressive. It is terribly difficult when you are in the firing line and no-one is listening to what you are saying - or at least listening, but just not accepting what you are saying as the truth!! You will have to take my word for it of course that my boys are so happy. Unless I can get a video of them, but I have no idea how to use my mobile phone as a camera so it will be difficult.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
that's great Julie, but Mollie is not Ben. One of the things I dislike about CM is that he tends to treat all dogs as having the same problem - dominance - and it just is not true.

All dogs are different - Ben couldn't care less what other dogs do, he is his own man. Treats hold little interest for him on a consistent basis.
You asked me how long it took and I answered you I never suggested your dog would be able to grasp the concept that mine have, mine have never seen us be anything but gentle with them consequently they are gentle souls too. Our previous Duncan had baggage from before we had him all the dogs we have had from puppies have been gentle souls. I truly believe how we treat them forms their characters and letting them only be treated gently creates gentle characters.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I'm not sure that's right, Gnasher. Where did you hear that from?
There was a bloke in Wales you was fined £2,000 - as far as I am aware, the poor dog was not punished. How could that be fair!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
There was a bloke in Wales you was fined £2,000 - as far as I am aware, the poor dog was not punished. How could that be fair!
Well shocking them isn't fair either but you support that.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
I don't doubt you did use the collar to teach him a recall.

Funnily enough, while you have that opinion, that it doesn't cure dogs of DA. Lou Castle thinks otherwise. He was very adamant towards me that it would work on ANY dog regardless of their personality and recommended I use one on my DA dog.

We all know that personality plays a big part into training a dog, and a good trainer should be able to base their training around the dogs needs. Unfortunately Lou Castle laughed me out of the forum when I raised that issue with him, that some dogs are more sensitive and wouldn't do well with using the e-collar etc.

*Sigh*
Well, I will say that he is wrong. The last thing you want to do iz to zap a dog who is fighting with another dog - all that would happen is that the dog who is being zapped will think it is the other dog who is doing that to him, and will up the anti even more! Silly man.

I agree too that not all dogs would suit an e collar by any manner or means. It is horses for courses.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Of course it's fair, it's the owner that should be punished, as you would if yup used your device in Wales
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well shocking them isn't fair either but you support that.
Yes I do, because I think it is entirely fair to give the dog a chance for the first time in his life of having a happy, normal life - OFF LEAD!!
Page 28 of 44 « First < 18 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 38 > Last »