Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
We do not have the boys insured now - it is too expensive. We bought the dogtra second hand off our neighbour, the dog insurance was £20 per month - after just one year of insurance, we would have paid out more than double what we paid for the dogtra.

I can state what I jolly well want!!

What part of the following paragraph do you not understand ....

After just ONE zap we obtained a perfect recall from Ben. Since then, he has around or less than 5 zaps in over a year. I would state that this has been an out and out success, wouldn't you?
You are becoming increasingly antagonistic are you not? I do hope you are following the forum rules and guidelines on etiquette
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:11 PM
I was watching a Youtube video once of a previously dog aggressive GSD, who would attack other dogs on sight, now "rehabilitated" using the collar. The owner and trainer took the dog to a popular dog walking area and let him go. He beelined another dog straight away, ran after him, they zapped him, and he immediately turned tail and returned to the owner. However, his body language was anything but happy and relaxed. His ears were slanted at a side angle, not held up erect as is usual with the breed. He sat by the owners leg and did not move another muscle. He looked tense and uncomfortable but unable to exhibit those feelings naturally. All the time his owner and trainer are saying how amazing the training has been, what a wonderful "new" dog they have etc etc. But what has the collar actually taught the GSD? Other then "you go near that dog I'll zap you for reasons you don't understand". The underlying behaviour is still there. That dog is still not comfortable around other dogs. He will most likely have to wear the collar for the rest of his days because no other training is in place to teach him dogs are not a problem. An e-collar is a training aid, and like so many other aids, owners tend to get lazy and just keep on using them for extended periods of time. But while they correct an undesired behaviour immediately, they don't fix the underlying problem and therefore the behaviour remains.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Why does it matter the treats are benign and doing no harm.

Mollie got sit stay etc really fast she loved toys and food so would do anything for them, Betty watched Mollie and pretty much got what we wanted her to do straight away.

Recall for Mollie was quite fast too she likes to know where we are so always came back when called only her dementia has stopped that and it's sad to see her panic when she can't find us so she stays on a lead now. Betty has about zero recall because we haven't worked on it with her, she is too small to allow to run free I would worry bigger dogs could hurt her even the coots could do her harm at the lake so no off lead for her.

I am sure she would get it quite fast if we trained her though as she is very bright and even on lead watches for us every few yards.
that's great Julie, but Mollie is not Ben. One of the things I dislike about CM is that he tends to treat all dogs as having the same problem - dominance - and it just is not true.

All dogs are different - Ben couldn't care less what other dogs do, he is his own man. Treats hold little interest for him on a consistent basis.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

Yup - I understand what you are saying. We recently had to pay out £1,000 in vet fees because Tai had swallowed a plastic tray containing fat for the birds. We are still paying off the OD plus vast amounts of interest
Yet in a previous post yup stated you could / would not afford a behaviourist.

I'm beginning to wonder if your continual contradiction of yourself and your changing of your story all the time is just one big wind up.

If you didn't have such a high post count I'd be reporting you to mods as a forum troll!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Now I know were I know you from, I remember that as well, I do love to wind him up It would be interesting to see if he still uses the same arguments which I expect her does.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
I was watching a Youtube video once of a previously dog aggressive GSD, who would attack other dogs on sight, now "rehabilitated" using the collar. The owner and trainer took the dog to a popular dog walking area and let him go. He beelined another dog straight away, ran after him, they zapped him, and he immediately turned tail and returned to the owner. However, his body language was anything but happy and relaxed. His ears were slanted at a side angle, not held up erect as is usual with the breed. He sat by the owners leg and did not move another muscle. He looked tense and uncomfortable but unable to exhibit those feelings naturally. All the time his owner and trainer are saying how amazing the training has been, what a wonderful "new" dog they have etc etc. But what has the collar actually taught the GSD? Other then "you go near that dog I'll zap you for reasons you don't understand". The underlying behaviour is still there. That dog is still not comfortable around other dogs. He will most likely have to wear the collar for the rest of his days because no other training is in place to teach him dogs are not a problem. An e-collar is a training aid, and like so many other aids, owners tend to get lazy and just keep on using them for extended periods of time. But while they correct an undesired behaviour immediately, they don't fix the underlying problem and therefore the behaviour remains.
But this is not why we used the e collar to train Ben!!

We used the e collar to train a RECALL - absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he is DA. We are now starting to work on that - without using the e collar, for the very reasons you mention here. They simply do not work to cure a dog of DA.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Absolutely not - because Ben won't kick off with a calm dog.
Another lack of understanding, the only way you can teach an aggressive dog not to be aggressive is to keep them calm, when they are kicking off their brain has shut down apart from the part involved with the kicking off. No matter what you do then it won't get into his brain and he won't learn anything apart from kicking off works.

And thank you very much for your lovely comment about how I have no idea how dogs really tick. That is extraordinary, considering how I am so much in tune with them. Several dogs I know are extremely aggressive and unpredictable with strangers, but have no issues with me. I tend to attract dogs to me like rats to the pied piper. I am a very doggy person, and particularly a very wolfdoggy person and although no-one can ever claim to know everything about dogs, you learn and learn every day, or you should do, I would class myself as a knowledgeable dog owner.
I have been like that all my life, doesn't mean I can understand a dog and how they tick, it just means that dogs don't see me as a threat.

Your last remark just demonstrates how you have not listened to anything I have said ... I have repeatedly said you would NOT use an e collar in a confrontational situation.
Why should we listen to you when you keep telling us that you are not listening to us. The way you have attacked things that were supposed to be in my posts that weren't there shows just how little you read our posts.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
Yet in a previous post yup stated you could / would not afford a behaviourist.

I'm beginning to wonder if your continual contradiction of yourself and your changing of your story all the time is just one big wind up.

If you didn't have such a high post count I'd be reporting you to mods as a forum troll!
WHAT!! I am at work here playing hookey - I don't have time for this, it is just that I am an argumentative madam and will not let go!!

I am not contradicting myself - I did not say I could not afford a behaviourist - I said that the 3 behaviourists/trainers whatever you want to call them cost us a lot of money - around £200 from memory. That is a lot of money to me. What was the point of carrying on when clearly nothing was working.

I am NOT a troll ... HOW VERY DARE YOU !!!!
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2013, 04:17 PM
YOU DID ... by insinuation, if not by actual word.
I don't insinuate, I mean what I so I means ME and nobody else.

Maybe if you stopped reading into posts that are not there it may help.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 04:18 PM

WHAT!! I am at work here playing hookey - I don't have time for this, it is just that I am an argumentative madam and will not let go!!

I am not contradicting myself - I did not say I could not afford a behaviourist - I said that the 3 behaviourists/trainers whatever you want to call them cost us a lot of money - around £200 from memory. That is a lot of money to me. What was the point of carrying on when clearly nothing was working.

I am NOT a troll ... HOW VERY DARE YOU !!!!
Sorry, I still don't get it, typicall insurance excess is about £75 which is all it would cost you. Typically a behavioural consultation comes in around £150, but you use trainers instead.
Page 27 of 44 « First < 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 > Last »