Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Again you are giving confusing reports, you say using the collar is a total success , one would assume by this you mean Ben has a reliable recall away from ALL DOGS ( he may otherwise attack) , yet you also say " unless it's a black dog/ lab" which caused the need to use an e.collar in the first place.

That's not a success in my book, you still have the problem you started with black dogs, equals Bens aggression.

You also say you only needed to use it once and her got the message, yet you kept on using it a number of times...why if the first stim cured him

All this due to him not having a good recall hate to think of any trainer who would advocate euthanasia for a poor recall.
Ben has a totally reliable recall away from ALL dogs - including his bete noires black labradors. However, having been recalled and put on the lead, he will be vocalising at them - in other words, had we not recalled him, he would be attacking them. The whole point of introducing the e collar in the first place was to be able to recall him when we needed to, irrespective of who or what had come into his space.

I just don't know how I can explain the importance of the fact that after the very very first stim, he understood what we wanted - yes, I will confess that on possibly 3 or 4 more times over the next few months he needed a reminder that he must come back when we call him, but so what? Every single trainer, every single training method, would at least occasionally need reinforcing from time to time. Just like with our children, they need correction from time to time, a reminder to say please and thank you etc. etc.

We still have a lot of work to do vis a vis black labradors. And the way forward is with our friend who lives in our village and has a very arsey entire male black labrador. Rome was not built in a day, and at the moment I have other more important issues to deal with, but the time is now ripe for the next stage of Ben's training and during the forthcoming winter months we will be working on his BL issues. My personal feelings are that this is going to be too tough a nut to crack, but we will give it our best efforts.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Taken from a study into effects of shock collar training :

Most importantly, the group of dogs that received a shock for not abiding by a recall (Here) command, were also significantly elevated.

Even more distressing, is that the results remained the same when the dogs were reintroduced to the testing area after four weeks. Their stress levels remained high, even though they did not receive any shocks during this reintroduction period.

The results from Schalke’s study indicate that electronic collars are extremely risky to use even for the short term. Stress levels of the dogs were high after just 7 days, and were elevated as soon as they returned to the shock treatment environment. This is consistent with Polsky’s study, which show that dogs may associate the shock and stress they receive, with the environment itself.

This study provides strong evidence that shock collars are inappropriate for most kinds of dog training, as even common recall training will result in elevated stress levels, and a lower quality of life.

Shock corrections can weaken our bond with our dog.
But my whole point is my boy Ben --- it is what has worked with Ben - I don't care a fig, jor or iota in this instance about anything or anyone else, any other dog or owner, it is all about my boy Ben - his health, wealth and happiness. All I can say is that 3 years ago I had a dog who was unpredictable ... something which is extremely dangerous with a dog who weighs in at 45 kilos ... occasionally savage to both humans and other dogs - and now I have a dog who I can take anywhere, safe in the knowledge that he respects me, I have control over him, but yet I still cannot relax, I need to be vigilant because he has this bug about large black male dogs, in particular labradors. We can never relax, we need to be vigilant, but we know that if someone walks into our local pub with a black labrador we will be onto him immediately if he kicks off. He is "work in progress" - and probably will be until the day he dies. And I do not care a fig, he is my beloved Ben, I adore him and he is worth every moment of effort and angst.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have never said to keep your dogs on a lead or long line, I have said to train them to recall so stop putting things in that are not there.

When training a recall you have to start in your home before you work with your dog outside even in your garden. If your dog does not have a good recall at home you won't get one outside. I am not saying you don't have this with your dogs, I don't know, but once you have a good recall in your house you then work in your garden, you have to have 100% before you move on to the next stage.

You can get small carts for them to pull, in the USA using scooters with dogs is gaining in popularity, I exercise my dogs with a mobility scooter, they love it because they can go faster and if I am walking them, they still go off lead several times a week and are under a lot more control. Even when off lead I keep control of them, I interact with them all the time. 2 love to chase a ball, 2 love to play tugger and race each other round with the tugger between them, another loves to chase birds, she doesn't have any chance of catching any. Dogs can be free and off lead and still under control. As owners we have to work out how best to have our dogs under control and still meet their needs, just running free and not under control can lead to accidents happening. Using a shock collar to get/keep control of our dogs can fail for many reasons, they are so hyped up they don't feel the shock, the collar has failed etc. Even when a dog is on a long line something can happen so you don't have control, the line or clip breaks and the dog takes off. The only safe way to have a dog under control is to train them, the more you train the more reliable the dog will be.
Which is exactly what I have done. If his collar fails, if the line breaks, I still have total control over my Ben.

Can't you see that? I HAVE trained him - I have trained him with an e collar, whether you like it or not, that is how I have trained him. It has worked, he is not traumatised, he is happy.

When I am proved wrong - as I am many times - I am delighted to hold my hands up and say "gosh, I have learned something, I am wrong". I had to say this to my hubbie who insisted - against my better judgement - on using what I thought was an inhumane and cruel device on my beloved boy. When I could see with my own eyes the effectiveness of this device, I had to eat my words, and admit that I was wrong and my OH was right to have had the bollocks to try something that he too was not happy with. This is what being a true dog lover, a responsible dog owner, is all about - stepping outside of the box, against all your better instincts and judgement - to risk everything if you like to save a dog. We had no choice with Ben, if the e collar had not worked we would have been faced with putting him down, which was of course unacceptable.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Were have I said that your dog is traumatised by the collar?

Were have I said that you have been cruel or used it excessively?

Stop attacking me for things I haven't written.

To me having to zap a dog 5 times is 5 times too much, doesn't matter when the dog was zapped or how long it has been since it was last zapped.

At least I took the trouble to research these collars, learnt how to use them and when to use them before making up my mind about them.
You are entitled to your opinion - b ut to accuse me of not researching these collars is just bang out of order. My husband has spent many a long hour in email and direct conversation with Lou Castle who is the Dogtra expert dog trainer - he has spent many a long hour trawling the internet for every piece of advice both positive and negative in an attempt to make sure he is fully conversant of the facts. He is a medical scientist, so that is his nature, he would never ever ever try anything without thoroughly researching it first.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
But my whole point is my boy Ben --- it is what has worked with Ben - I don't care a fig, jor or iota in this instance about anything or anyone else, any other dog or owner, it is all about my boy Ben - his health, wealth and happiness. All I can say is that 3 years ago I had a dog who was unpredictable ... something which is extremely dangerous with a dog who weighs in at 45 kilos ... occasionally savage to both humans and other dogs - and now I have a dog who I can take anywhere, safe in the knowledge that he respects me, I have control over him, but yet I still cannot relax, I need to be vigilant because he has this bug about large black male dogs, in particular labradors. We can never relax, we need to be vigilant, but we know that if someone walks into our local pub with a black labrador we will be onto him immediately if he kicks off. He is "work in progress" - and probably will be until the day he dies. And I do not care a fig, he is my beloved Ben, I adore him and he is worth every moment of effort and angst.
I thought you only used the shock collar for recall so why you are banging on repeatedly about all the other stuff is quite frankly beyond me. You are so full of contradictions, you make my head spin.
Read the bits i highlighted in red...........the research shows a hightened stress level in the dogs that the collar was used on.
We will never convince you otherwise, that a bit of time and patience could have got you the exact same results with your recall, because you made the decision to go the lazy, quick fix route instead
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2013, 11:15 PM
I don't know anything about you Gnasher, so can't comment on your situation with Ben. But saw the mention of Lou Castle there and had to cringe a little. That man drives me mad! I wouldn't mind his stance on e-collars if it wasn't for the fact he's so blinkered to e-collars being the ONLY way of training that he dismisses other peoples accounts and experiences using different training methods. He joined another forum I belong to as an "invited" guest and was very arrogant and rude and it was more or less his way or the highway kind of attitude. He teaches puppy basic obedience using the collar from as young as 10 weeks old. That to me is just plain wrong and totally unnecessary. I can't take a trainer seriously when he feels that level of correction is needed on a 10 week old puppy.

Just out of interest, if the collar became illegal in England, as it is in Wales, what would you do then? I believe it's only a matter of time until that law is passed here also.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Gnasher, you've been very lucky that the e-collar has worked in your recall training with Ben - unfortunately, many, many aren't and I'm sure you will acknowledge that.

I remember one very long internet interaction with Lou Castle. It was hysterical. If Wys is still looking in, she may remember how the story became more and more incredible as time went on to the point where the Rottie supposedly chased seagulls out to sea and was rescued by a surfboarder . Of course, you've always gotta watch out for those trucks turning up in the middle of fields too )
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gnasher, you've been very lucky that the e-collar has worked in your recall training with Ben - unfortunately, many, many aren't and I'm sure you will acknowledge that.

I remember one very long internet interaction with Lou Castle. It was hysterical. If Wys is still looking in, she may remember how the story became more and more incredible as time went on to the point where the Rottie supposedly chased seagulls out to sea and was rescued by a surfboarder . Of course, you've always gotta watch out for those trucks turning up in the middle of fields too )
Yes, I remember
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Dogloverlou has it right, really. I used to have countless arguments with him (during which he'd be as nasty as possible) but I don't bother with any of that any more as it's a waste of time.

I'm far more interested in things like legislation against shock collars now, it's much more appealing
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
You are right, Ben is not frightened of anything - he is a git - he just does not want to be compliant, which is exactly why the e collar has been so brilliant - with Ben it is all about pack and rank - I know this is an anathema to you, but I do have 15 years experience of living with wolf crosses and I can read my Benny Boy like a book - I learned at the paws of the Boss, Ben's father Hal. With wolf crosses more than any other breed or type of dog, rank and pack is EVERYTHING. I can look at Ben and know exactly what he is feeling, how he is feeling, what he is thinking. And what I see and know is that I now have a dog who is totally and 100% happy - safe in the knowledge that we are his pack leaders, we have control of him, we can control him, he can respect us, he can trust us. He is one very very happy dog - for the first time in his life, he can relax, he can be himself, safe in the knowledge that WE are boss, so he does not need to be.
I didn't say that Ben wasn't fearful Gnasher, I said I had no way of knowing about him in that sense. I've often met owners who do not think their dog is unhappy when in fact it is. Often if dogs aren't trained using methods such as desensitising and counter conditioning then they can behave "like gits" and it can be a sign of the dog not being entirely comfortable.

Re walks and shock collars, I suspect that Ben simply associates the collar with going for a walk and in that case (just as my own dogs used to be delighted at me getting out their choke chains for walkies when I used them) is making an association between it and going out. Walks are a powerful thing to a dog at the end of the day.

But that doesn't mean he likes getting shocked

It doesn't alter the fact that shock collar trainers will tell you the yelp is all about surprise and that is how they cover their arses, and at the same time enable owners to continue using shock on their dogs.

Won't get into the pack thing but yes of course, you are right I disagree - however, I do agree that dogs need owners to give boundaries and tell them what to do, when - but that's not pack leadership, that's just being a good owner (not an Alpha wolf substitute).
Page 18 of 44 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »