View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Bulldogs also require an undershot jaw, Bullmastiffs are another, I dont think these breeds would look at all right if the standard was changed....

I personally like Bandogs, but they are not suited to the first time owner, as with any other large Molosser.
So to promote the Bandog on here in such a way you are doing on an open forum, could attract the wrong sort of people into owning your breed, which in my eyes would not be doing the breed too much of a favour.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

21-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Please keep this thread on topic. The original question that was asked is pasted below.

Originally Posted by patterlad
Can anyone tell me the problems a dog can encounter through having a under/overshot jaw .
Off-topic posts will be split into a new thread and put into the 'debates' section shortly.

From this point on please do not respond to any off topic posts, untill the thread has been split.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 11:14 PM
No one breed is superior to another. We are all justifiably proud of our dogs.[/QUOTE]

yes SB very well said!
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2005, 11:26 PM
With over shot jaws, one will often find that the dog also has converging canines as a narrower than usual underjaw is common in that situation. The result of converging canines is that the tips of the large, lower canine teeth are stabbing into the roof of the dogs mouth. Incredibly uncomfortable I should imagine.
With an undershot jaw, it depends on the severity of the undershoot.A dog with a reverse scissors bite will probably not suffer many,if any problems.A very undershot jaw might lead to the dog having problems masticating its food if the molars are out of line.It would also impede grip( in a very undershot jaw, not really in a reverse scissors)
Sian
Hamstaff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2005, 11:29 PM
And, to breed these qualities out of any breed would surely result in a different breed? So, if you truly love a breed, I would imagine you'd take it "warts and all".If you find things about the breed unacceptable then it's not the breed for you. Each to their own, criticism of anyones chosen breed will get one nothing but hostility
Sian
lowrie01
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2006, 03:23 PM
bandogge is the name given to pitbull terrier x neo mastiff originally but many people have successfully x,ed other bull terriers with other mastiffs and now days do not need to x as there is a long enough line to breed bandogges, this breed is allowed in u.k but not if you run around shouting my dogs half pit, another example of an olde australian bandogge is the fila braziliero so basicly if it,s a real bandogge it,s a real banned dog. lovely looking though.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Topdog
Also I get my dogs from breeders with a superior breeding plan that will cull a dog or even a whole line if it doesnt reproduce greatness...

[/url]
Glad they don't do that with humans. What if you have buck teeth? Beware the hooded axeman! Thankfully my dracula tooth was fixed by my dentist's brace .
Charmergirl
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2006, 08:56 PM
"Also I get my dogs from breeders with a superior breeding plan that will cull a dog or even a whole line if it doesnt reproduce greatness..."

My God, that's sick. What the matter with spaying and neutering a slightly sub-standard (as far as conformation is concerned) dog?!? Why would anyone buy from a breeder who murders their dogs or their dog's children?!? It's like killing a baby if it was born with some deformaty. Absolutely criminal.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Charmergirl
"Also I get my dogs from breeders with a superior breeding plan that will cull a dog or even a whole line if it doesnt reproduce greatness..."

My God, that's sick. What the matter with spaying and neutering a slightly sub-standard (as far as conformation is concerned) dog?!? Why would anyone buy from a breeder who murders their dogs or their dog's children?!? It's like killing a baby if it was born with some deformaty. Absolutely criminal.
I agree, a caring breeder would just as well have them neutered, but to kill them? Nah, they must think, "oh well, it's only a pup..." One of my best friends has an overshot jaw and she is human, thankfully not killed as a baby, it's actually hardly recogniseable, but maybe I should warn her not to have kids of her own, just incase...
lowrie01
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-05-2006, 06:55 AM
wot u like top dog, ave u seen my dog, ave u , ave u, eh, eh, ave u seen my mates dog, ave u, ave u, eh, eh, eh, ??????- r u gettin a bit excited mate?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >