Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:48 AM

Did I do the right thing?

I've never experienced it before.

Honey was laying upside down with her head on my lap yesterday, when I noticed a lump near one of her nipples, after I managed to get her into a position to look at it, it looked like it was just a lump of puss, and after trying to look at it a bit more it popped and loads of puss came out, although Honey never woke up at any point of it . But was it the right thing to pop it myself or should I have left it alone and waited for the vets to look at it, I'm gonna get the dogs weighed soon so will speak to them about it then and book an appoitment if necc, but what do people think?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I would probs give the vet a call and see what they say
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I am afraid I do most stuff myself, apart from the things I CANNOT do, (eg broken toe)

To me, a spot is a spot.......... and it is SO satisfying to press, pop and pus clear!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Abcesses tend to be encapsulated and once they pop that's it, so not really much the vet can do anyway. Just keep it clean and let it heal from the inside out - so soak with salt water to stop a scab forming and let the inner parts heal. I'd just make sure it doesn't reappear as recurring abcesses can often be caused by something else, e.g. facial abcesses in rats can be caused by a tumour in the ear, but given the location of this one I imagine she's just nicked herself on something, bacteria has got trapped inside the nick and formed a small abcess, which is now popped and clean so doubt it'll cause anymore problems.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Must admit with other things its done myself (apart from my rabbit Drew, I can cope with Harmony, but id Drews hurt thats the end of the world, I don't know why ), but I've never seen this before, I am assuming she did it on a walk, as well she likes to stalk Diesel, and when she stalks she looks like this (old photo, but one where I know where it is lol)

So I can imagine her laying on something at it causing something, but I did wonder, my old vet trusted me, so would let me know what was best, I'll do some salt water though, cooled boiled salt water is the best, although I've still got some soloution from when she cut herself last time, if thats got a use by date on and its still ok I might ask the vets if its ok to use that on her too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Get yourself some saline pods, very cheap in bulk from FA suppliers; great for eyes, wounds, etc etc
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I had some of them in a dog first aid kit, but I've moved around so many places its one of the things that I lost, right now though I'm looking at building myself up a new one so they'll be on the list
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
I would have probably popped it myself!

Just keep an eye on it, and keep it clean and it should heal up soon.