Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 11:41 AM

New puppy peeing alot

hi there everyone. im new to this as i have just got a new puppy...she is a wiemaraner x springer spaniel.
i bought her home last sunday and she was doing fine, i was taking her out every hour pretty much and only had 3 accidents in the house in 3 days so thought she was doing well.
on thursday we noticed she seemed to have a bladder infection...we took her to vet and they gave her antibiotics. and i gave them a pee sample...they tested it and said she only had very mild infection.
well after a day or 2 she seemed to be back to normal. but today she seems to being peeing every 20 minutes.
its not like the day she had the infection though as she was squatting and not doing anything about 5 times every time we went out. now she is actualy peeing but if i dont take her out every 20 mins she will go in the house...where as it was an hour before the infection.
she does seem to drink a little water every time she comes back in from a pee trip so do you think that is why she is peeing 20 mins later or is the infection coming back??
sorry about this, im just worried about my puppy.
by the way she is 7 and half weeks old.
any advice would be great.
thanks
heather
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
If your antibiotics have finished she needs to see the vet, if she were mine, i would phone the vet anyway for further advice.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Is she warm enough?
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
well its not cold in the house so i guess so. why? and i have phoned vet, am taking another pee sample in the morning so they can test it again.
i stopped her from drinking the last time she came in and this time she has gone 45 mins without a pee so maybe it was just that?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Please do not restrict your dog's access to water, puppies can seriously dehydrate in less than 24 hours. I realise it may not be convenient for you, but the health of your puppy comes before puddles.

I asked if the puppy was warm enough as sometimes a dog can become cold and pee a lot or it can be TOO warm, and thus drink too much.

Your vet needs to know not only if there is any infection but if a lot of water is being eliminated as this can be damaging to electrolyte balance in the blood etc.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
To add to what Smokeybear said about restricting water. It can lead to them drinking way too much when it's there as they don't know when they'll next get a chance to drink. I would imagine this would lead to MORE puddles in the long run.
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2011, 07:59 PM
i dont think taking away water for 45 mins is going to hurt her. and the vet knows. i didnt post on here to be told im being cruel to my puppy. i am looking for advice. thanks for ur input tho.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by tinnies4 View Post
i dont think taking away water for 45 mins is going to hurt her. and the vet knows. i didnt post on here to be told im being cruel to my puppy. i am looking for advice. thanks for ur input tho.
I was just about to post the same as smokeybear. I didn't see anyone saying you were cruel though?

My pup is now 7 months old and only 5 weeks ago stopped peeing beside the back door...it takes time, she could pee for england.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2011, 08:26 PM
What are you feeding your puppy ? If you are feeding a complete dry dog food your puppy must have fresh water available all the time
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi, I had a similar situation and only lasted one day, thought she had cystitus but the vet said it could also be brought on by worms.. gave her a worming tablet which she was due anyway and so far, so good... but of course every situation is different and we do worry straight away. best to have another word with your vet.xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >