Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2006, 10:12 PM

Anxiety wraps and hysteria in the car

Could I ask the opinion of anyone who has tried the anxiety wraps.

Maisie, 3 , BC and with a huge prey drive, is a major pain in the car. She starts barking as soon as the ignition is switched on, will bark intermittently whether there are other cars or not, and will throw herself at the windows whenever anything goes past. the original advice was to keep her in a covered cage, but she becomes hysterical and I am concerned she will injure herself. Any attempt to praise, or restrain her, causes further hysteria. she is absolutely fine in the car until the engine starts to run, and will run back to it at moments of stress.
The only time she is quiet if sit in the back with her and hold her lead, sadly this isn't a solution. She isn't frightened of the car, only the movement.
What do users think?
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I know Patch uses an anxiety wrap so I am sure when she sees this she will be able to give you some advice.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2006, 03:22 AM
Hiya, yep my Fluke has one - this is how it helps him plus other examples of others dogs who have wraps for different reasons :

http://www.agilitynet.com/reviews/an...ialpowman.html

Its worth you trying her in a close fitting t-shirt first [ needs to be close fitting to help stimulate the effect ], and perhaps worth trying Maisie on some Valerian Compound as well, given about half an hour before gradually building up her being in the car, [ disclaimer as always, check with vet first if giving any over the counter preparations ].

In either case [ or as a combination ], I would work on little steps, ie having her get in the car then out after a few minutes [ which she is ok with if I read it correctly ], for a few goes spread out through a couple of hours, [ leave the t-shirt on inbetween initially ], then have her in it, start engine, ignore any stressing [ so as not to reinforce it ], wait a few minutes, switch off, wait a few minutes, then exit the car with her. Gradually building up doing this, again very short sessions spread over a few more hours ], without the car even moving but her getting rewarded when becoming less stressy until she is more confident.
This should help greatly toward doing the next stage of the same thing then reversing or moving the car forward just a few feet at a time [ important - just once forward and back per session ], and again gradually building up.

Ideally its something to try if you have a span of several days at least during which you don`t need to take her anywhere in the car, and if done with a combination of a t-shirt [ or a wrap if you notice the t-shirt making even a slight difference bearing in mind a t-shirt isn`t designed so effectively for this ], and Valerian, as an extra confidence booster while calming, [ which does not cause drwosiness nor impair a dogs faculties so she won`t feel less in control of herself ], I would hope to see a significant improvement in a relatively short space of time :smt001
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi reclaimingrebus I have never used wraps so can't comment, here are a couple of replies to a similar post that fit in with Patches post...

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=628612&postcount=2

http://www.dogsey.com/showpost.php?p=676420&postcount=6
reclaimingrebus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks all. I can't take a run at this until I'm on leave next week, but will then give it a go. I've got some old crepe bandages and will try wrapping her in those. If it doesn't work at least she'll have a halloween costume for next year!(aka Return of the Mummy!)
elaine