View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 07:31 AM
I agree with Bellaluna, as we have very similar situations ... GO FOR THE JOB.
have a happy healthy animal, that loves the times we spend with him, but is quite happy to sleep or play when we are not there. He has full run of house except bedrooms, so he has kitchen, diningroom, lounge, bathroom, and sometimes the garage if we leave the door open.
When we are home, we make the most of the time we spend with him!!

Go for the interview!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Russ
In all the previous posts everyone is on about
i leave them 2 hours, i leave them 4 hours etc.
How many people think there dogs look at the clock and think oh he's been away 3 hours today
We all know how long we leave our dogs for but they just know they've been left
Hours and minutes don't come into it for them.

Jmo
Russ
I agree with you Russ.
Our dogs donīt know if we have been away for 1,2 or 3 hours.
And saying that we canīt leave them at home (after have taught them to) is saying that no one with jobs can have dogs

I donīt believe that Iīm a bad or worse owner than people who spends all day at home with their dog.

Just my oponion
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Russ
In all the previous posts everyone is on about
i leave them 2 hours, i leave them 4 hours etc.
How many people think there dogs look at the clock and think oh he's been away 3 hours today
We all know how long we leave our dogs for but they just know they've been left
Hours and minutes don't come into it for them.

Jmo
Russ
Completely agree with you on this Russ.

It is OUR guilt playing us a trick. Luna is just as happy when I arrive after 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Oh and if you already start teaching your dog to be home alone, it will be used to it by the time you start the job
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Luna is just as happy when I arrive after 5 minutes or 5 hours
I totally agree Bellaluna, and this theory has been tested. When we arrive home from work, Bruno sees us through the glass sliding doors, runs away, comes back with a toy (or anything nearby) in his mouth and does a whining dance at the door till we unlock. It is almost like a trot on the spot, at the same time as whining.
But if we lock up to have a wlk to our friends house (3 houses down), and u do need to lock u to do that, and we are gone 5 mins, he still does that! exactly the same, like we have been gone for 2 days!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Oh I love that dance

Luna does it too
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
I would say go for the job. At the end of the day as much as we love our animals they should not run our lives. You have to earn a living and work.

I work 9-5 each day my parter is at home most of the day with the dogs he starts work at 1pm so there are 4 hours each day when my two are alone. It has never ever been a problem just a routine that they get used to. We both need to work to be able to pay the mortgage and keep the dogs, the dogs get plenty of walks and exercise and mental stimulation and I am happy with that. Just remember though at the end of the day its your life and do what is best for you. Of course the dogs come into it but you are more important.

Laura
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by stafford
hi, don't work so my dogs (staffords) are with me 99.9% of the time,
IF i do pop out my oh is usually in but if not then the 2 girls are put in a very large great dane sized cage and 1 male in a simmilar sized 1.
they don't mine this but i would NEVER leave them for longer than 30 mins.
but it's up to the individual needs of each person+dog.
if you have got peeps prepared to keep an eye on your dogs at regular intavals and you+dogs are happy then go for your dream job
Not being funny here but I would NEVER leave two dogs in a crate alone unattended especially Staffords. No matter how well you think they get on or for how little time your leaving them its a recipie for disaster imo.
TamT
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Must be a labrador thing. There is nothing in the world better than the welcoming from a dog, especially a Labbie. They are sooooo special.

I am referring to bellaluna's last post.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by TamT
I totally agree Bellaluna, and this theory has been tested. When we arrive home from work, Bruno sees us through the glass sliding doors, runs away, comes back with a toy (or anything nearby) in his mouth and does a whining dance at the door till we unlock. It is almost like a trot on the spot, at the same time as whining.
But if we lock up to have a wlk to our friends house (3 houses down), and u do need to lock u to do that, and we are gone 5 mins, he still does that! exactly the same, like we have been gone for 2 days!!
Dogs don't comprehend time, though obviously the longer you are away the more they are hungry, want to loo or feel alone. I would guess for them as with all pack animals either you are :-
there with them and that = happy
you are not there with them = not so happy.
You can minimise the effect of 'not so happy' by food and excercise so the dog will be more likley to sleep till your return then will be less aware of your absence . I am luck being able to take Amy to work with me and only have one dog at the moment for that reason. I hate leaving her anway, and when I have to leave her for any reason probably miss her as much as she misses me.
ajolie
Dogsey Junior

09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
i agree about leaving 2dogs in one crate my two were fine together for a while then one night when i had stayed awake till like 3am reading and heard mine bickering so the next day went and spent 100 on another one as i paniced thinkin anything could happen and i wudnt want them to get hurt.
just saw it as brothers just gettin on each others t!ts excuse my language

thanx for all the replies i have decided i will leave it to fate if i get the job ill go for it if i dont they it obviously wasnt meant to be and wont go for another and just stick to my 10hrs a week.

and my sister has agreed that if i pay her she will come round for 2hrs from 11 till 1 and then my brother is home by 3 latest and he will look after them till i get back at 4/5 so the maximum they will be left is when i leave at 8 till 11 so three hours which i have done before a couple of times and left them with kongs filled with frozen bits and they were fine.

thanx again keep the coments coming if u have only just read it
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >