View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 04:10 PM
i work 3 hours a day and leave my lab at home but i have to walk him before i work as if i go to work and walk him afterwards he destroys mmy house while i am out!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 04:15 PM
I agree it would be unfair to crate them all day. It's a long time since I've had a pup so I've never had the chance to crate train yet cos it wasn't the thing to do then! Definitely would next time tho as I've heard it's better way to train them! Huskies are a fab breed, would love to have one but just don't have the time, money or space at the mo!
Very envious of you by the way, might have to come and steel one of yours in the meantime!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
so my question as well as the above is do you think they would be ok or should i not go for the interview as i wud never give my babies up so if not ill not go for the job.
Yes I think you should go to that interview and yes I think your dogs will be fine

I have Ally, a lab. girl 15 months. Very energytic and full of hormones. But still able to be left alone for 7 hours a day.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Hello all,

I have a Border Collie, 4 years old, and I don't work (disabled now).

IMHO I wouldn't leave a dog for more that 4 -5 hours at a time, and never go to work for the hour's you are talking about. as most dogs are social animals and need attention from us, although you could say that the dogs would get used to the lonliness after a while.

I am going to say something strange here but you may get my point.

The eight hours is not a great length of time, but 8 hours at work + 8 hours of sleep, only leaves 8 hours of time for the dogs to spend with you, and of course you will have different things to do.

I may sound as though I am telling you off, I don't mean it in that way. - (I am bad at expressing what I mean).

Ian
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi

I work full time, and have a labrador bitch. Luna is 22 months old and is alone all day.

I'm not gonna post the numbers of hours but its long.

Luna is not crated. She has the hall and bathroom to roam, when I'm not home. And there's a babygate in the doorway to the kitchen/livingroom area, so she and the cat can mingle if they want.

Go for the job!!!!!!!!!!!!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't leave a dog for more that 4 -5 hours at a time, and never go to work for the hour's you are talking about
I´m not sure I understand.
Are you saying I´m treating my dog wrong by being of to work everyday for the amount of hours I am away?

And I don´t mean to tell you off neither. I´m not a very good writer when it comes to expression myself in english.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Hello :smt039

Tough decision for you, especially when your dogs are used to you being around.

I have a Utonagan and have been at home with him since we got him as I am an aspiring writer. TBH I wouldn't contemplate leaving him alone all day unless we were desperate for cash and then I would try to find someone to look in on him for food, garden etc., but he copes with the occasional few hours, providing he's had a good walk and some food beforehand.

Today I had to leave him for 5 hours to go to the hospital but he had a massive walk first and he was fine.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Hello Amts,

No I am not saying you are wrong, it is up to every individual, just in my own opinion it is a bit too long, however if the dog is used to it and does not show any discontentment well it must be ok.

Ian
stafford
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2005, 11:51 PM
hi, don't work so my dogs (staffords) are with me 99.9% of the time,
IF i do pop out my oh is usually in but if not then the 2 girls are put in a very large great dane sized cage and 1 male in a simmilar sized 1.
they don't mine this but i would NEVER leave them for longer than 30 mins.
but it's up to the individual needs of each person+dog.
if you have got peeps prepared to keep an eye on your dogs at regular intavals and you+dogs are happy then go for your dream job
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-02-2005, 12:42 AM
In all the previous posts everyone is on about
i leave them 2 hours, i leave them 4 hours etc.
How many people think there dogs look at the clock and think oh he's been away 3 hours today
We all know how long we leave our dogs for but they just know they've been left
Hours and minutes don't come into it for them.

Jmo
Russ
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >