Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:08 AM

info about breeding

hi guys, this is gonna be a bit long.
anyway, a friend of mine has jus told me that her mum and sister are gonna run a business breeding bengal cats, cos they need some money. Then she added that they also want to breed those 'furry little dogs' no idea what breed shes on about! so to me this is a problem, cos shes in it for the money and 'her hobby so she has something to do'.
Now even though ive told her if she does it properly she wont make any money, its not much comin from me cos apparently i dont know anything. Anyway, what wud be helpful if some of u respectable breeders could post some info about breeding without condeming what shes doing cos theres no talking her out of it, only showing the right way it seems! or at least trying! this comin from a girl who said rotties were dangerous cos its 'in their blood' and wudnt see any other side of it.

So please, jus some info about breeding which wud point them in the right direction so they dont start popping out defective puppies she will not take critisim, trust me. what i will do is paste ur replies into an email to her so she has some good info to pass onto her mum. she says they r visting a respected breeder today for some advice, but i dont think they will kno a good one from a bad one to be honest and think the advice they will be given will be wrong!

thanks guys x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
all I can say is OH DEAR
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 10:34 AM
yeh big OH DEAR! i jus hope some of u can provide some valuable info to them as they r clearly going to carry on with it anyway.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi Jenny, I am minded to steer clear of this post altogether she does sound a very silly woman . It would seem this lady does not even possess a dog in the first place? I would tell her that breeding dogs is a very very expensive hobby and that once she has paid hundreds of pounds to acquired a good quality bitch and paid for the health tests appropriate to the breed, she will need to have at least £1000 extra to cover stud fees and vets bills, more if the puppies have health problems. Also if the puppies do have health problems and can't be sold she will have to be prepared to keep them indefinably at considerable cost, also to keep any that are returned by the purchaser. Tell her she must also be prepared to lose every penny anyway as the bitch and or pups could die particularly if she is inexperienced in whelping procedures.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Tbh I can't see anyone wanting to help someone who is in it purely for the money Jenny. I wouldn't take it personally if no-one replies to this thread.

Personally, I wouldn't give anyone any help if I knew they were doing it purely for the money, because ultimately the animals will suffer. If this person get's no help, she might get the message and hopefully the breeder who she is obtaing a queen from will pick up on her reasons and not sell her a cat. Mind you she might get a bit of a shock because breeding queens can cost around £1,000!
Meg
Supervisor

11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
oops posted at the same time as AZZZZ I prefered not to comment on the cat bit, but think it a good idea to say something rather than nothing to this woman who sounds silly enough to go ahead with or without advice. Perhaps if a few people make her aware of some of the sad facts of life and horrendious costs that go with breeding, she may think again
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 11:30 AM
You mention health tests Mini but in reality she does not sound like the type of person who would bother with that if admittedly she is just out for some money.

Very sad and I agree even posting is just adding fuel imo.
Meg
Supervisor

11-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Laura
You mention health tests Mini but in reality she does not sound like the type of person who would bother with that if admittedly she is just out for some money.
Very sad and I agree even posting is just adding fuel imo.
Hi Laura I am sure she wouldn't, but if you lump it in with all the other costs that so few people are aware of she may just get the message if she is doing it for money and think again. Like I say, the more ignorant she is of the facts the more she is likely to go ahead. Also if she is a friend of Jenny's and asked her opinion she may be influenced by that and take her 'good advice' not to go ahead Also if Jenny says nothing the woman may get the impression its alright to go ahead, but if Jenny says she has spoken to many people experienced in breeding and they have said it is a bad idea and with a few reasons why she she may listen . I don't look up on this as 'helping' more a case of informing of the facts
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 11:56 AM
well she wont take my advice, but she may off some well respected breeders from here. As they have said they are talkin to a breeder today, i hope the advice from some might sink in. she used to be my best mate, but now shes just annoying cos she thinks she knows it all and in the end its gonna be animals that suffer. unfortunetly its up to her mum and sister if they breed, but i hope that if i can pass on some advice from good breeders, she might in turn pass it onto her mum.

As much as i would love for her to jus get on with it and realise how hard it is, i think on the other end of the stick if all the facts are given to her she might think twice before doing it or at least put more thought into the breeding for the pups sake.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2005, 11:56 AM
I can see where you are coming from Mini you are more tolerant than me . Personally I would loose the rag with such people

I cant believe that there are people so irresponsible around that they would go into breeding for a few £££. I am not that naive of course I know it goes on but still when you see things in black and white and somebody actually admitting that they are getting into it for the cash it makes me mad.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >