Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-09-2014, 04:49 PM

2 dogs at the same time?

I am possibly getting another dog tomorrow, that'll make 2 in the household. My husband is coming home in a few weeks and I thought it would be a nice surprise for him. The dog I am getting is a 1 year old brindle pitbull male. The man walking him asked if I wanted him since he is a truck driver and doesnt have the time anymore. Right noe I have a 7mo brindle pitbull/boxer mix female. I am taking her over there tomorrow to meet him and all goes well I will be bringing him home. The man is getting all the paperwork for vet updates, microchip.

What do I need to look for when the 2 meet?

And having 2 dogs by myself for a few weeks, I already know is going to be tougher. So anybody who has or had multiple dogs at once please give me as much advice as possible!

Some of you might already know what Roxie's life is like. Its a perfect home for a dog. We do hiking through the woods and weekend visits to the river, a lot of playtime excercises, lots of playdates with other dogs, etc. She is even spoiled with her own twin sized mattress as a bed. And my husband used to train show dogs, he loves them. He has a way with dogs that melts my heart and I know he is going to love having one.But since its just going to be me for afew weeks would appreciate some pointers.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtua...ur-dog-new-dog
Hope I posted that ok
Sorry don't have any personal experience but thought this would be helpful...Good luck
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Birth control?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2014, 08:47 AM
How is Roxie when you leave her now? If you get the new dog, will he also be left with Roxie or will you separate them - I know that you were very against the idea of crating Roxie when she showed signs of separation anxiety.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you, Roxie and new new dog.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Neutral group for the first time.
Sorry to say, personally I would do a few intro's, before putting the pair together. Never know what prior may have caused certain behaviour.
Also do you have crates for them until you are sure there will not be any issues
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2014, 01:34 AM
In my experience and from what I've heard a boy and a girl should do well together. Two bullies of the same gender can be a difficult situation, but the opposite gender can work nicely.
It's about personality too. Sophie is a fraidy dog but older and grumpy at times. Callie is much younger and laid back. When she growls he gives her space. If he fought back when she gets mean it couldn't have worked out.