Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Gardening help please - bamboo

Are bamboos deciduous??? We haven't managed to get them in the ground yet, still in pots,I'm watering them but the leaves are going yellow? Just wondered if that's normal for them and they drop off for the winter???

Also my Japanese maples although they've turned bright red leaves, some are going brown, do they drop off too for the winter?

I've done loads of research but nothing tells me this bit!!! Thanks!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm trying to think, my mum had a bamboo garden but I can't remember whether all the leaves fell off or just the lower ones! Maple I'm pretty certain does shed.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Sorry H I don't know. I don't think bamboo travels too weell though, next door got some and it spent the first year looking like it was dying....its perked up now tho....sorry thats not very helpful is it?!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Thanks Becky, you've put my mind at rest about the maples then!

Lol A, you talking about travelling well - I bought 3 more blacks yesterday over the road in the sale, and they're well over 10 ft. tall, so I stuffed them in the back of the estate, pots first and had 5 foot of head hanging out the back on the floor, so I hoisted it all up with the dog's stretchy lead and drove home with the back open!!!! They'll get used to me won't they???!!!! They look pretty bright and healthy, but I'm just wondering about some of the leaves, but it's the lower leaves like Becky is saying?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Are bamboos deciduous??? We haven't managed to get them in the ground yet, still in pots,I'm watering them but the leaves are going yellow? Just wondered if that's normal for them and they drop off for the winter???

Also my Japanese maples although they've turned bright red leaves, some are going brown, do they drop off too for the winter?

I've done loads of research but nothing tells me this bit!!! Thanks!
Some Bamboos are deciduous & some are evergreen

I think Acers are deciduous
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2007, 05:22 PM
You have black bamboo Helen and they definetly are evergreen.They do however naturally drop dead leaves all throughout the year,but are replaced by new ones.Normally,when you give them a good shake-the dying leaves fall down and its nothing to worry about.

Just remember to give them a really good soaking before planting and make sure they never dry out cause its instant death to them.Poultry manure pellets give them a really good headstart and are quite cheap also.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks Jodee, I'll read up on those links!

Thanks Steve! The blacks seem very healthy, but the one I'm worrying about is the bigger leafed one, the phyllostachys (lol! get me!!!)

They'll have a really good start, coz the gardener has brought in tons of really black topsoil which he says is the best you can get, and he's rotavating all that in on Monday, plus I've bought a bag of ericascious soil for every tree I'm planting, and each bamboo clump. I'm going to plant them in circles of 3, rather than a straight line? That's only because it will match the circles I want in the lawn for the trees. Will the bamboos like the ericascious soil I've got or will they like a good old compost, coz I got some of that too? It's the big day on Tuesday for planting, so I'm getting prepared!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2007, 05:40 PM
They're tough as old boots Helen once established Helen so dont worry.In a few years-you maybe seeking a growth supressant...

Im kidding!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm glad I scrolled down there Steve!!! Just one more question then please Steve, am I right in saying they like wet ground??? I was thinking of putting some right down at the bottom as a screen where I have a fence panel width gap, say about 3 in there, and it's very wet in the winter coz it's the bottom of a big slope? I thought they might like that?

For 20 years I haven't given a monkey's where I planted shrubs and plants, and they've all taken off like mad, overtaken the whole garden in fact, and it'll be s*d's law that because I've done all my research this time, drawn constant pictures of sunlight/shade at various times of the day out there, so my trees will be happy where I put them, you know what'll happen don't you!!!!

Just imagine the poor gardener on Monday moving all the big heavy potted trees around whilst I stand there umming and arring as to whether I like them there, and doing what I do best, keep changing my mind! Lol! He's gonna love me by the end of the day!!!

You'll be amazed when it's finished, I've gone all Fuen Shui out there!!!! I can even speak Japanese now with all the maple names that just roll off my tongue! Dave was gobsmacked in the garden centre this morning when we were chatting to one of the experts!

Thanks Steve, I knew you were the bamboo expert on here from the photo's of your own garden.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I have 3 Bamboo's and they do loose dead leaves, but they are evergreen, the only thing I would take into consideration is that some bamboo can be very invasive, I have a tall one that just grows bigger and wider as the plant gets older, and a smaller variegated one that would take over the whole garden if it wasn't controlled, not too sure yet on the third one as I've only had it a few month
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >