Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Gas Boiler - Combi v Old Boiler

Hello,

Can any of you help me, I have a friend who is moving into a house, they have a gas back boiler installed, however I think that all boilers have to be changed to Combi boiler by 2010, is this true, or can they keep the old boiler?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Don't know Ian if you have an old one and it worked I thought it was ok we have a combi boiler and I don't like them as much.I do know if you have old boilers replaced it has to be replaced by a combi or condenser boiler.
would be interesting to find out as my Brother still has an old boiler in his property.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 01:41 PM
We have a combi condenser boiler and it's great, having 4 teenagers in the house, I do get to have a hot bath.....even if it is around midnight.

I guess as long as the boiler is safe and fully functioning I can't see why they would have to have it removed/replaced.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 05:10 PM
you only have to have the new condenser boilers when you are replacing your old one.

i need a new one (mines only 4 yrs old and pants) i had a quote from BG and nearly fell through the floor, far too expensive.

oh my boiler is poorly as we speak, no hot water or heating at the mo.

i've got to get my backside into gear and get a new one soon!!!!!!!!
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for you advice, it is just that apparently the council here says they have to convert all there back boilers to combi's. And my carer thought that they might have to change there and might as well get it changed before they moved in.

Again thanks everyone. You lot are a great font of knowledge.

Ian
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Ian I have just phoned a gas fitter mate of mine and the law is as follows:

If you have an existing back boiler and separate water heater like a Brittany then so long and it passes an annual gas maintenance check then it can be kept, if it fails a check before 2010 you can have it replaced like for like, but after 2010 if it fails a gas check then everything must be removed and a combi boiler will have to be installed.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Colin Bradish View Post
Ian I have just phoned a gas fitter mate of mine and the law is as follows:

If you have an existing back boiler and separate water heater like a Brittany then so long and it passes an annual gas maintenance check then it can be kept, if it fails a check before 2010 you can have it replaced like for like, but after 2010 if it fails a gas check then everything must be removed and a combi boiler will have to be installed.
thats good info thanks for that ....its worth wating till 2010 as there is bound to be grants and special deals around
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
thats good info thanks for that ....its worth wating till 2010 as there is bound to be grants and special deals around
Ian there already is.

Go to the following link: http://www.warmfront.co.uk/
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 01:03 PM
A combi every time for me!! No tank, no pipes in the loft, etc. etc. Instant hot water, as much as you like, constant, instant heating, absolutely brilliant! We changed ours about 4 years ago and I've never looked back, wish we'd done it sooner. Best thing since sliced bread imo!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2007, 01:06 PM
We've had ours in 11 months, after 20 years of boiler and hot water tank and boy is it a luxury now!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >