Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogtopia
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:57 PM

Westie peeing inside AGAIN!!

Hi
Some of you may remember me writing a while ago about my Westie male weeing in the house (up a couple of specific things).
He has been tested for diabetes and an infection, he came up clear on both. He is on Propalin for slight incontinence 0.2ml twice a day. I've tried to cut it down more but he wets the bed!

The problem is him weeing in the house. He did it a number of times overnight in the lounge (where he sleeps with his to Westie girls) so he was moved to the kitchen. The weeing stopped and after a week he was reinstated to the comfy sofa! a week or two on he does it again so back to the kitchen he goes. This has been going on for weeks now, back and forth back and forth.
The last two days he has wee'd in the lounge DURING the day so I moved him to the kitchen and low and behold he wee'd in the kitchen today. This is new!! Day time wee's are not his thing! He is only left for about 5 hours during the day now, he used to be left for 8 or so hours and always held on.

He is 8 years old, castrated.
He is also driving me insane as I don't know what to do next for him. Is he just being a git?
sturobinson
New Member!
Male 

14-03-2008, 09:03 PM
If theres nothing medically wrong with the wee chappie... make sure when he does pee, it's cleaned properly... if he smells the spot he did it near previously, he may think its ok to go there again...

Mal malamute girl is house trained, but had a week recently where she kept peeing in the same spot in the kitchen... even after an hour outside to go pee... she held it till she got in lol.

Is he fine for 5 hours without a pee if theres someone with him? maybe slight separation anxiety? I'm no expert though...

Maybe even take a week off work and go back to basic toilet training??

Good luck ...
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:51 PM
You don't say if he is actually cocking his leg or just leaking. Has your vet checked his urine and blood if not I would ask for that to be done, the incontinence could be infection anywhere in the urinary tract, when he goes on his walk does he pass a normal strong stream of is it weak and a lot of dribble if this is the case get the vet to check the prostate.
It could be he needs some male hormone, after he has had the above checks have a word with the vet and see if they will let you try this for a while. Sometimes castration and spaying can lead to this problem and replacing the missing hormone may help, worth a try anyway.
Dogtopia
New Member!
Female 

15-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the above suggestions.
He is eight years old in April and was castrated when he was 18 months. He has been checked twice for infection, once in September and again in January. He is cocking his leg when weeing up things and its a full wee.
Since I've had him (4 years) he has always wee'd a bit with excitement when anyone comes in (including me). We now ignore him and take all the dogs straight to the garden for a wee before any of them get a look or cuddle.
It may be separation anxiety, I've thought about that recently but there has been no change in his life for a couple of years.
I'm only out of the house for 5-6 hours at a time now, but I do work with dogs so I've also thought this may stress him out (the smell of other dogs on me)
He is definately not a dominant dog in the house. I have four dogs, two Westie girls (4 1/2 y/o) and a cocker male (castrated 2 y/o) and Mac is definately the bottom of the pack!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Think you may be correct it sounds a bit like stress, still think I would try male hormone tablets to see if it helps, could, of course, make matters worse but may just restore a little confidence that could make all the difference