Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RexNJ
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Advice about a dog with diarrhoea and vomiting

Hi,

On Thursday when I put Rex in the car for his walk he started heaving and was sick a little bit, probably about a mouthful. I didn't think much of it at the time. He was quiet to start off with on the walk but got a lot more excited when I got a ball out for him and he chased it quite happily until he dropped it in the river! At the end of the walk I noticed he was shaking a little bit, but it was very cold outside. As soon as I got him home he curled up quietly on the sofa, I thought this was a bit unusual and went to check on him. He was still shaking and then was sick, it looked like he'd brought up the whole contents of his stomach. Not wanting to take any chances I rang the vet's and took him straight round. The vet examined him, couldn't find anything and said that it was probably just something that he'd eaten, though I haven't changed his diet recently. He was given a couple of injections and some Hill's Prescription Diet wet food.

I didn't feed him this until the next morning and it went down very well. I walked him again and he was still a little quiet but nothing that worried me too much. His poos had been normal up until this point but he had quite bad diarrhoea, this has continued ever since. I was happy that he was on the mend and just getting it out of his system but today he was still quiet out walking and has been badly sick since we got back, he's not really moved from the sofa either which is unusual.

I've noticed that he doesn't seem to be drinking much water so I'm worried about him being dehydrated. The vet isn't open now until Monday so I was wondering what advice people had for managing this in the meantime.

Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Hi RexNJ how old is Rex, what is he vomiting food or bile, what colour is the poo.
RexNJ
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi Minihaha, thanks for your reply, I'm a bit worried about him.

Rex is almost 3 now, I rehomed him about 8 weeks ago. He's vomiting up food and his poos are quite a pale yellowy brown, they are completely liquid.
Meg
Supervisor

01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by RexNJ View Post
Hi Minihaha, thanks for your reply, I'm a bit worried about him.

Rex is almost 3 now, I rehomed him about 8 weeks ago. He's vomiting up food and his poos are quite a pale yellowy brown, they are completely liquid.
When did Rex last eat
RexNJ
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I gave him about half a tin of Hill's this morning which he ate a lot slower than he did yesterday. He's not really been interested in food since which is very unusual.
Meg
Supervisor

01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Hi
..So you saw the vet on Thursday.
Rex seemed ok on Friday
He had diarrhoea and sickness today.
He ate this morning..
Poor chap i think he has tummy ache.

I must stress if you are at all concerned at any time I would contact the vet. Your vet is supposed to provide an emergency service.

Otherwise as Rex is an adult dog and has seen a vet providing he doesn't seem in pain or distressed (some of the signs are panting /shaking/pacing/arcing the back) I would keep him warm and quiet making sure there is fresh water down and accessible.
See how he is in the morning if, he has been sick again in the night I would want to speak to the vet .

If he has been ok I would cook some white rice until sloppy and feed Rex about three tablespoons , if this stays down repeat after a couple of hours then four times in the day.
If you have a little cooked chicken or white fish to add that would be good. If not you could try mixing in a teaspoon of the vet food just to make it palatable.

The main thing is tiny frequent meals of bland food so you don't overload the tummy .
RexNJ
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Minihaha.

He doesn't seem distressed, just uncharacteristically quiet. He has water next to the sofa but I can't see him getting up to drink it at the moment.

I'll keep an eye on him and see how he is in the morning.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Poor chap, and I agree with everything that Mini has just said, white fish is excellent and probably better than chicken, but whatever you feed only give tiny quantities at a time. Oh dear, I am in danger of just repeating Mini's post.

I suppose the positive news is that he is pooping, even though it is liquid - this makes a blockage rather unlikely I would think.

Why do these things always gather speed towards the weekend Still, if you are worried tomorrow, or if anything changes, then I would not hesitate to ring the vet for advice again. Given that you took him straight to the vet at the start of this, I imagine that you would not hesitate.

Good luck, and do let us know what is happening
RexNJ
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks Bitkin, it's good to have a couple of people put my mind at ease a bit. He's still quite a new addition so it's very easy to worry when these things happen.

Hopefully if he does have any more problems he'll direct them away from my dining room carpet, if anyone has any tips about how to clean that up properly they would be appreciated!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news.
Meg
Supervisor

01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by RexNJ View Post
Thanks Bitkin, it's good to have a couple of people put my mind at ease a bit. He's still quite a new addition so it's very easy to worry when these things happen.

Hopefully if he does have any more problems he'll direct them away from my dining room carpet, if anyone has any tips about how to clean that up properly they would be appreciated!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news.
Hi Rex Vanish carpet cleaner is best
Otherwise make sure the carpet is colour fast then scrub with a strong solution of biological washing powder and warm water . Now get some kitchen roll and old towel and put over the wet patch and stand on it to remove the excess water.
Repeat until the stain has gone and the carpet feels dry
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >