View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sji
New Member!
Male 

26-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Advice on what to feed a 2 month old Westie?

Hi all this is my first post, so please bare with me

We are picking up our new Westie dog next week, he will be 8 weeks old.
I am after some advice on what is the best food to give him (dry/wet/mixture) at such a young age and how many times a day?
Also, what food needs avoiding.

thanks
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I would seek the advice of the breeder. He/she should be abe to say what the litter is fed on e as Westies can have skin/food allergies

Bet you can't wait to get your puppy.
sji
New Member!
Male 

26-03-2009, 12:17 PM
The breeder mentioned that he feeds them rice pudding now and then?

Everyone is really excited, the kids haven't shut up about it all week!
It's the first time we've had a chance to own a dog in years, due to work etc.
It will by my wife and kids first dog (i've had dogs before at parents house) so they are even more excited than me.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Most vets would tell you to feed your puppy on a good quality complete food such as Burns or James Wellbeloved .
The feeding amounts will be on the pack .
If your puppy is already on a good quality food I would stick with that for a few weeks anyway .
Don't really see the point of rice pudding as it has little or no nutritional value .
Good luck with your puppy , exciting times for your family
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 06:10 PM
With your pup being a Westie, I would try and feed it on as natural diet as possible.

Whether this be raw, home cooked diet, or a hypoalergenic dry food. Try and keep any additives and wheat/gluten out of the pups diet.

I don't know if you have had Westie's before, but they generally have really bad skin, so try and keep and eye out for anything that he will be sensative to.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 08:10 PM
I assume the breeder must be feeding them more than rice pudding though?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by sji View Post
Hi all this is my first post, so please bare with me

We are picking up our new Westie dog next week, he will be 8 weeks old.
I am after some advice on what is the best food to give him (dry/wet/mixture) at such a young age and how many times a day?
Also, what food needs avoiding.

thanks
Your breeder should give you a good supply of the food your puppy has been fed on & also a puppy pack containing pedigree, KC registration docs, diet sheet, health tests for parents etc If they don't then they are not a good breeder, especially if as you are a first time dog owning family.

I wouldn't start to change a puppy's diet as soon as you get him. He needs to settle in, get into a routine & then you can consider changing the puppies food over at least a week, by adding the new food to the old in increasing amounts until the new food is 100 % of the daily amount spread over 4 meals that you should be feeding him. Cows milk isn't suitable for dogs & goats milk is a better option, if you really want to feed a milk based meal.

IMHO it is better to split the dry/wet/raw food the puppy needs for the full day over 4 meals at 8 weeks of age. i would take him for a vet check within 24 hours of getting him-they shouldn't charge for this & you can then book him in for vaccinations at a later date. My vets will not vaccinate a young puppy immediately after they have been obtained, they prefer to wait at least 7 days
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

26-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I assume the breeder must be feeding them more than rice pudding though?
Would have thought so
cesky2000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Good advice there from JoedeeUK. I also give my new puppy owners a handbook on the breed and a completed membership form for the breed club and instructions on grooming, as well as a piece of the vetbed that the puppies have slept on and some of the toys they have been playing with.
sji
New Member!
Male 

27-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Some great advice there.

I spoke to the breeder last night and he says that he has been feeding the pups minced tripe, which he is going to give me some. Then he says that it will be ok to wean him off that onto puppy food.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >