Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-05-2017, 01:20 AM

Giardia- do's and dont's

Sorry to start a new thread, but it is a different angle.
Please, anyone who has dealt with this disease.

My 'quick draw' pup can drop a load while you blink to sneeze, even though I watch her constantly.
Inevitably, its happened- the soupy, Giardia-ridden feces are now on my carpet.

I usually put on rubber gloves and spray the hard floor with "99% bacteria" killer, and get rid of the offending dump.
But this time its not wipeable.

Now, I have a steam cleaner- but will the Giardia cysts then be living in the moist filter apparatus of the cleaner and bowl? This presents a mess, as it could in theory spread this all over the house every time I use the steam cleaner (leaving of course, wet rug and cysts everywhere).

How in the world do you clean Giardia-ridden poop from a carpet? Spraying bleach will bleach it white.
I finally have an appointment to get my pup in to my vet Wednesday- the shelter that gave me the infected dog has washed their hands of the affair, so its on me to cure :/
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2017, 06:53 AM
This might help
https://www.hunker.com/12576152/how-...rdia-on-carpet
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2017, 03:52 AM
Thanks, and didn't mean to be so late replying- have been working a lot. We ran further tests with the vet after a round of antibiotics and they are coming up negative. It looks like she is cured.
As for the steam cleaner, I had used mild bleach and then opened up the steamer and let it dry out completely.

Sill having a difficult time with the housebreaking though. I do the 'catch her in the act' and whisk her outside, but now she's taken to dumping and peeing as soon as she's alone in another room.
She does this even though before bringing her in in the evening, I wait until she's done both.
This of course presents no opportunity to react at all, as I've been told they can't connect the act to the duty if you don't respond in the middle of it. I guess she figures well, why wait to go outside, when she can just relieve herself anywhere as soon as she's out of eyeshot.

Its a shame because I'd love to stop crating her at night, she hates being put in the cage but with my eyes closed for 8 hours I'm virtually certain I'll be rewarded with piles and possibly a ruined laminate floor in the morning. :/
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2017, 08:03 AM
I hate to say it, but the 'catch 'em in the act' often results in the pup just 'hiding' to do their stuff so you can't see them. I can also result in the pup not going at all when you are about.

The best and most efficient way to housetrain (even though it's the most frustrating until the desired result is achieved) is to take your pup/dog outside after eating, sleeping, drinking, playing and every half hour in between and rewarding for the correct result. Accidents should be ignored rather than snatched upon.

One of the most frustrating things of having a pup or do that hasn't been trained is cleaning up their mess, but you get there in the end.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Completely agree with Chris's method. Give each function a name, and reward outside for a 'Good quicky', even if it means standing outside with her in all weathers to catch the act. If she is sneaking away in the house, pop a bell on her collar. If you can hear her move, you should be able to redirect her before she squats.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Its looking like at this point she may have to be crated indefinitely at night, which she absolutely hates, at least going in
She's taken to peeing and pooping regularly in the corner of the front room as her latrine of choice, just as soon as she's out of view. No matter how much enzyme cleaner I use.

She isn't on her own often, as I usually insist on her being in the same room as me constantly. But she can drop loads and lakes faster than a paper boy in a ferrari. I make sure and poop her before bringing her in, and we make frequent pit stops letting her out in the yard in the evenings where she goes immediately. Yet she always seems to find more to leave in the house.

A relative says "Eventually she'll see the house as her turf, and not want to soil it." It seems instead she's come to see it as her bathroom. I have no effective discovery-after-the-fact punishment in my arsenal so she has me on a loophole indefinitely it seems. Ugh.
jeffpas
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2017, 09:51 PM
I regret to say she's just become a yard dog. She can come in when I'm home and able to watch but housebreaking has proven impossible, even with #1 and #2 before entry and frequent outs. This afternoon I had her in for about 2 hours and she still smuggled a lake into the dining room, the worst ever. Its amazing because I keep her by my side constantly indoors. Thank god none of the furniture is ruined but the laminate floor is a bust, will have to be replaced and with something waterproof. Although I had a nice wooden floor chest that is now stained urine-yellow on the bottom.
Tough one to crack! Oh well.