Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:38 AM

Money for Rehomed Dog?

Something that has just come up on another thread, that I would be interested to hear people's views.

If you ever had to rehome a dog, would you ask for money from the prospective new owner?

(and this is purely hypothetic, so replies saying 'I'll never have to rehome' don't add anything to the debate)

On the one hand, you want to make sure that the potential home is serious about the commitment, which paying something might imply, on the other, should you really benefit financially from such a sad situation?

And if you do agree that a payment helps to prove the prospective owner's commitment - how much would you charge?

I think I would probably say that I wanted some money, but when i knew that the person was serious and was prepared to pay, and if I was happy with them, I would let them keep the money and put it towards the dogs food/vet bills etc.
Ibinpudled
New Member!
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:43 AM
I think I would charge in the interests of doing everything I could to make sure they went to a good home. However the money could always be donated to a good rescue and as I would probably ask for assistance finding a suitable home from someone like Poodles in Need then that would be entirely appropriate.

Don't know how much I would charge though. It'd be a really tough call.

(Making me feel all upset just thinking about it lol )
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I have taken 3 dogs from homes (the rest from Rescue organisations). I wasn`t asked for money from any of them. In fact I was given food etc. I see no reason why a private rehoming should cost money.
Having said that I know people who have given money for dogs just to get them out of a bad situation.
I don`t mind the rescue donation because they have vet costs etc. A private home shouldn`t charge because you are actually doing them a service by taking on the dog IMO.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ibinpudled View Post
I think I would charge in the interests of doing everything I could to make sure they went to a good home. However the money could always be donated to a good rescue and as I would probably ask for assistance finding a suitable home from someone like Poodles in Need then that would be entirely appropriate.
that's exactly what i was going to say!

I can see why people might think asking for money when you are trying to rehome a dog is a bit heartless, but i think might go someway to ensuring the people wanted the dog rather than just a cheap one. Then donating the money to a charity would help that dog and others in need.

I do find it odd when people rehome dogs and ask for money because "they want to at least get the money back for the cost when they had them nuetured".
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I don't think I'd mention anything, and hope enquiries showed a genuine interest in the particular dog, money aside. I'd like to think that I'd have vetted prospective owners so thoroughly, that I wouldn't need to ask for a charge to prevent him getting into the hands of people out for a cheap dog for whatever purpose.

Saying that, I can totally see why people do ask for a charge initially to weed out unsuitable enquiries, but I don't think I could go through with actually charging it, unless it was a small charge that went to a rescue. I don't think it's really fair when people don't ask for money, then when they find they have people seriously interested, stick a price on the animal, but ultimately, providing all potential homes and homers are throughly vetted, it doesn't really matter.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:23 AM
My view shares that of ClaireandDaisy - whyi find it really odd when people have said "i only want to find a perfect home for my dog -but i want £150 for it" it just seems at odds to me. I do see the whole deterring BYBs and people who might otherwise want the dog for the wrong reasons but it doesn't mean you have to follow through on charging someone for the dog. When i have had animals from rescue centres they have normally asked for a minimal donation and i have given above that as they are worthful charities reliant on donations (by and large).
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:26 AM
PS as this was a follow on from the previous thread the thing that made me a little suspicious was originally the owner didn't want any money and is now demanding £150. Just a bit weird imo!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
as many will know, I gifted a puppy to one of my OH's friends, it all went very wrong,
I took the puppy back, I did not advertise him {Beau} but when he was seven months old, I was approached my a lovely couple from up north, I did sell him after alot of convincing, but I didnt sell him at the full price that a pup from me would normaly cost, I sold him at half price,
that said I was the breeder of said pup
I think it depends on the situation,
I learned the hard way, sometimes things that are given free are not of value to people, but that said he would have been of value to other people,
Its a really hard question to answer,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
have to say, I have/do hear of people buying dogs from people, {not breeders} but people that have had the dogs for a few months then decide they no longer want the dog, they then keep the dog for a few weeks, then sell it on at more than they bought it for its normaly pedigree dogs they can pick up for say £100 then sell on a short time later for up to £400
the dreaded DOG DEALER
that really pees me off,
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Something that has just come up on another thread, that I would be interested to hear people's views.

If you ever had to rehome a dog, would you ask for money from the prospective new owner?

(and this is purely hypothetic, so replies saying 'I'll never have to rehome' don't add anything to the debate)

On the one hand, you want to make sure that the potential home is serious about the commitment, which paying something might imply, on the other, should you really benefit financially from such a sad situation?

And if you do agree that a payment helps to prove the prospective owner's commitment - how much would you charge?

I think I would probably say that I wanted some money, but when i knew that the person was serious and was prepared to pay, and if I was happy with them, I would let them keep the money and put it towards the dogs food/vet bills etc.
YOUR not going to ask me are you.............. to difficult.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >