Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2007, 07:52 PM

Glad thats over

Star was at the vets tonight for his first course of immunotherapy, that went ok but he has to have in each week for the next 19weeks which means me giving him the injection so if anyone has advice on this i would be happy to hear it, the vet are showing me how to do it but am still nervous.

Secondly Star decided to revert back to his barking while on his lead behaviour, making people think he his a nasty dog, i dont know why he does this, he did it while younger but seemed to grow out of it but was back to old habbits tonight. One of the dogs what got a woofing was a little black one who was treating it like a paris hilton/britney spears would treat theirs. So when Star woofed at this said dog she made a high pitched scream and run off to the other side of the vets, by she i mean the owner not the dog. And while Star should not do this i did find this amusing, but not as amusing as a couple sat next to me rowing about whether or not GSD could be long or short haired. This row ending when they decided Long haired where GSD while Short haired were Alsatians but they should both be banned as they're the most nast type of dogs. . it also turned out that this couple were the parents of the Paris Hilton wannabe.

Another thing that made me laugh was while Star was in a barking mood he went to bark at one dog but stopped with his mouth wide open, the reason being it was a yellow lab and each yellow lab he has met all take delight in throwing him about.

Sorry about the long post but that is one vet visit i need to get off my chest and dont want to happen again for a while.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Giving any animal an injection for the firs time is nerve wracking, but it does get easier the more you do it

Get your vet to keep showing you until you're confident enough to do it on your own, and do it yourself, in front of the vet. That way, if you do anythng wrong, you're in the right hands to have it put right.

The main thing is to make sure that there is no blood coming back into the syringe. After you've put the needle under the dogs skin, draw the plunger back slightly. If there's no blood, then you can administer the vaccine.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 08:02 PM
@paris hilton wanna be
both of my pair have a good old woofing fit at the vets,they detest the scrabbling of claws on the floor and if a dog does it they go bonkers
with regards the injection,listen to what the vet says and try(i know it will be difficult)to be confident in what you are doing,it will benefit star and if you are really struggling with it ask your vet/vet nurse for as much help as you need
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi Phill,
It's "unfortunate" you have to administer injections, and I've not had to do it myself, but I'm sure, as Wolfie has said, it will get better with time. Good luck with it hon